A.D.D. ??

I think my dd has add she cant sit still she cant pay attention to one thing for more than 5-10 min, and it is causing problems at school, shes not bad and dosent do wrong or bad things she just gets bored and loses interest and trys moving on to the next thing, then to the next and so on and so forth, is there any thing that we can do with her at home to help this? my husband and i are against meds for this. she is 5 and in kindergarten

sarahdicksonjr

Asked by sarahdicksonjr at 1:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 5 year olds can't pay attention to anything for more than 10 minutes anyways, doesn't mean she has ADD
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• have her tested
    change diet
    make sure she gets plenty of large motor time, espeically before sit down activity

but could be something lese
    i would have tested, so yu know what you are dealing with

could be that she is not challenged and bored with activity or she needs hands on learning
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Have you considered having her tested?

Being inattentive is really the least of the concerns with a child who has ADD. Does she have good relationships with her peers? Does she seem in control of her emotions?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ditto to plenty of large motor time. The more the better.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had these problems with my son...he's in 5th grade now. I refused drugs of any kind adimantly....But what I did learn was to be very active in his education. Sit wih the teacher a decide things your going to do to hold her focus or make her feel useful and you reinforce the same techniques at home. Don't ever let the teacher not allow you to be majorly apart of the decisions and the process. She is your daughter the teacher only has her for one year. and if you find something that works let the next teacher know about it. And it doesn't mean she has ADD she's 5! accomidations can be made to make her more comfortable and help her focus.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Change the diet first to a clean diet. If no improvement, then speak with your dr. about testing.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 1:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• is it possible that she is bored and not challenged enough in school?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

•  Does she have good relationships with her peers? NO Does she seem in control of her emotions?NO 

She dosent like other kids except the ones she has grown up with, and she can be happy one second and freaking out the next for me do anything she dont like

sarahdicksonjr

Comment by sarahdicksonjr (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• and she is not bored at school, she likes school but she is also having trouble just sitting still long enough for me to teach her how to write her name, let alone recognizing the ABCs
    sarahdicksonjr

Comment by sarahdicksonjr (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• she is in K~ sometimes focus can be taught. It is her attending to her work that is hard? Saying stuff like "lets add some more to this picture" or like in Good Night Moon book...can you find the little mouse on this page. Set a table up with 5 things, ask her to hide and take one thing away....can she tell what is missing (cause you have to visually attend to what on the table).

Find out what kind of learner she is...visual or auditory and work on that. They have my 12 year old doing Wii in Jr High for rewards for attending to her work...she is a visually learner and she will do anything for screen learning. I'm all about making it fun, building self confidence and joyful learning. The frighten, overstimulated brain cannot input and learn well.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010