Should i take him in?

my 17mo son caught the headcold my dd brought home from preschool. He was SO congested and sounding yucky sunday night thru monday night. yesterday was mostly just runny nose and coughing a little bit, he actually slept pretty decent last night. But he's been SOO fussy and grouchy today i'm worried he might've gotten an ear infection, should i take him in or just wait it out? He did have a fever this morning but i gave him some tylenol and it went away right away. He's also teething like crazy so i can't tell for sure if the fussiness is from him being sick or from his teeth :-/

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 1:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If youre worried about a possible ear infection look for signs that it is one. If you notice him tugging or messing with his ear a lot more than usual then that is a good indicator that it could be an ear infection and I would take him in. If not then I would try and wait it out as long as the medicine you are giving him keeps the fever down. But those are just MY opinions from personal experiences, as always, you need to trust your mommy instinct first!!
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Take him, you can never be too careful with the ear infections, and you can't really tell what's up, just take him and be safe rather than sorry.

Answer by older at 1:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If you're concerned, take him in. I usually wait a day or two before going into the Dr unless my kid is super super uncomfortable.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 1:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Trust yourself, you know your child better than anyone else. If he's doing okay, i would wait a day or two and watch him for symptoms. You know when your child is hurting and trust what you feel. I second guess myself so many times and then go to the doctor and find out I was completly right in my suspision. However mild ear infections will resolve themselves, but if it's severe you do want to get them in.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If the fever sticks around it definitely sounds like it went to his ears, which is super easy to do with little ones and I would take him in. Has he been rubbing his ears or anything like that?
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 5:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• he was buggin at his ears a little bit but more like on Sun/mon, i guess he was probably just tired and grouchy this morning cause after i posted this and he took a little nap he seems to be doing much better :P he's even less snotty and drooly, but i'll keep watching for fever or rubbing at his ears :) thanks for the advice ladies!
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010