my 4 yr old daughter whines

all the time over the baby.....and it's driving me crazy. any advice would help. when in the van the baby likes to make sounds or scream and then my daughter will scream at the baby saying to stop it and screams back. i try to tell her that is the way the baby talks and to stop it but she just keeps at it. she says she is scared of the baby when the baby touches her and screams. she never shares any of her toys with her. she screams all the time when the baby is around the baby and me. how can i get her to stop.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like jealousy to me. Is it your baby or a baby that you babysit?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• it's my baby. i know she is jealous but i can't seem to get her to understand her behavior is bugging me.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When she does it tell her thats what babies do and big girls are suppose to help calm the baby down. You have to make her feel like being a big girl is a reward and you get to do big girl things when you act like one. Hope this helps. My kids are closer together though, so my 1st dd was never really jealous with my 2nd. Good luck
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Are you doing anything besides telling her to stop? Because that's clearly not working, even though it'd be ideal. I'd focus on one thing at a time, and I'd start with the screaming. She isn't going to magically like the baby. But you can teach her that screaming isn't okay. Don't make it about the baby. So, don't say "stop screaming at the baby" say "stop screaming" and whatever enforcement you want. Time out, whatever.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010