at the end of my rope....HELP!

My 2 year old son is turning into a terror! I'm a stay at home mom, so my son get's TON'S of attn! For discipline, I do time out or take the toy away that he's using to hit the dog...I think I keep up pretty well with discipline. Lately, he's started acting VERY aggressive but I have no idea where he's seeing it, not on tv, not in our home...not at his Nana & Papa's, and he doesn't go any where else. He's hitting the dog, with hands or toys..and he's hitting us too, and not little hits either! He cracked me in the side of the head today, out of no where when I was putting him down for nap. I'd like any other mothers out there, that have 2 year olds that hit, kick, and show aggression to tell me, what do you do to deal with it...any advice is welcome, but NOT to hit him back I don't believe in spanking, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• instant time out for 3 minuets, or longer if he keeps getting up.
    tell him it hurts mommy and makes her sad when he hits and that its not tice, if he thinks its fun or just funny then wait for him to do it again and put him in time out.

heres a helpful pages for some tips http://www.ivillage.com/hitting-when-your-toddler-hits/6-n-146051
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_aggression-how-to-deal-with-hitting-biting-and-more_11550.bc
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 1:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You should reconsider spankings! We all had them and we turned out fine! Besides, he's a child and needs to be put in his place. If you don't, you may wake up one day from a nap and he's standing there with a butcher knife repeating REDRUM...REDSUM!! Now spell that backwards!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• MAYBE maybe it could be his diet
    take out all artificial food dyes..LAKE dyes red 40, yellow 5, blue 1
    also preservatives TBHQ, BHT BHA i think those are the letters
    hopefully you are not a health food person, because if you are then this is not the correct answer
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't give him anything with dyes in it, i read an article about that. And I try to avoid sugar, preservatives, chemicals etc. I buy organic as much as I can, and make things from scratch. So I CAN'T see it being his diet, but thank-you that's an excellent suggestion!
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 2:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• instant time outs. if he doesn't stop its bed time..
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have a 2 year old daughter too.... she is very CLINGY to us I am a stay at home mommy.... as soon as she turned 2 she graduated into the TERRIBLE @CATEGORY She tends to throw things and when she is very mad or upset she Hits too... we have tried A LOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS... Honestly my Dr. and family members all suggested a VERY LIGHT SPANKING it lets them know that you are the one in charge and that the HITTING kicking etc. will not be tolerated...I was COMPLETELY against any kind of spanking but it has mad a significant difference in the severity of the outbursts at least good luck... HOPEFULLY IT GETS EASIER
    Jacky S.

Answer by Jacky S. at 4:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Occasionaly I give my daughter a "sit-tight" basically she sits on my lap and I hold her hands so just has to sit there. I usually to time-outs, but she won't stay in time out so I had to find something else. Then I let her out and if she hits me again she goes right back into sit tight. It works sometimes. Good luck!
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thanks for all the advice...I guess I'm doing what is right, just hope 3 is a better age, lol.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 10:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010