Gay marriage as it relates to religion question

Many people of the Christian faith believe gay marriage is wrong because God "created" marriage and he meant it to be between one man and one woman. My question is, what about those who are not of the Christian faith? Should they not be allowed to get married because marriage has its "roots" in religion? Or is it the just one man one woman thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you have found the reason for most of the opposition in the US. I believe it is religious in nature. Many of the Christians in the US think this is a "christian" nation, and want to impose their beliefs as the laws of the land. Since they are convinced that their religion is the only true one, there isn't as much tolerance for other views as we might like.

Just my opinion, as a religious outsider, looking in.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 1:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Sure they should.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 1:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I am a Christian, and I personally don't care, it's none of my business if two gay people want to be just as stressed out as the rest of us! Why shouldn't gay people have the same rights as the rest of us, honestly in this day and age to still be pondering this issue is just ridiculous. There was opposition to abolishing slavery, to giving women the right to vote and heck, we women still aren't out of the woods yet! People of color are still coming face to face with racism, look at the elections. It disgusts me to no end when people hide behind religion to enforce their prejudices. If gay people want to get married , leave them be, let them love each other, we should be encouraging acts of love instead of being so ready for confrontation at each turn!

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 1:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• When a believer speaks in terms of scripture and what God says it's vitally important to remember that they can only really speak to other Christians and NOT non-Christians. Those that don't believe are not held to the standards of God's word, how can they be? When you choose Christ, you choose to live by the Bible. If you don't believe in God, than you aren't held "liable" by what scripture says or requires.

The argument about separation of church and state is always very skewed....it's to keep the government out of religion not visa versa. Should government stipulate what happens in someone's home or life? No, however, our constitution was written by several men of faith (and also some of non-faith) and they deemed it important enough to rule marriage between a man and woman. Can or will the constitution be changed? Maybe someday but for now, it's something that must be adhered to whether we agree with it or not.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 1:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I'm not a real religious person meaning I don't go 2 church like alot of people do but my Faith in God is still very strong. I'm a firm believer of "Do ur best & God will handle the rest". As far as gay marriages, I c no problem w/ it bc real & unconditional love is not defined by color, race or sex. It is defined by the loving commitment & respect 2 people have 4 each other. All of my children are bi-racial which I'm sure alot of people don't agree w/ but again that comes back 2 society needing 2 c people as people & children as children & not as something they're not (such as half & half, fagot or dike). We are all equal & should be treated as such.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• At this point in our world, I honestly think God has bigger fish to fry than two people who LOVE each other getting married, regardless of sex. And while "marriage" may be religious in nature, or history, it does have LEGAL implications that should not be denied to two people. Yes they can have a civil ceremony declaring their love, but you can't argue that its "just as good" or "the same" and a real marriage with a certificate. As my husband's wife I have the right to certain things and believe everyone should have that same privilege.

rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 2:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Firstly, I, personally (although I'm not alone) believe that your sexuallity is biological... I do not believe this way because of science or brain scans. But because of dolphins (and other animals). Dolphins mate for life as humans are supposed to. And in many situations they have been known to mate homosexually... If this is true for other animals why would it not be for us. At the biological level we are no different from animals.

That said I don't think that a gay couple shoud look to get married in a religious setting if that religion is firmly against homosexuality... That to me just doesn't seem right. But on a legal level I think they should get the same rights that the rest of us have... Love is Love! Love is Blind! Your heart couldn't care less if that person is white or black or purple or straight or gay... So why should the law?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• On paper we are all equil! And since this country's laws are not supposed to be based on religious beliefs... I figure we should all be given the equil rights that we are supposed to have...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness..." Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

This never says these rights are only for the Hetrosexuals... But ALL MEN!!!

• I am a Christian, but I think any two people should be allowed to get married. Because we have separation of church and state in this country, there should be no religious basis for the banning of same-sex marriage.

Does that mean I think it is "right" in the eyes of God? Heck...I don't know. I'm not God.

But I do know that the government should not legislate morality--and this is exactly what it does when it denies any two people to get married. Marriage is not solely a religious institution. It's a legal and social one.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 3:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• "But I do know that the government should not legislate morality--and this is exactly what it does when it denies any two people to get married. Marriage is not solely a religious institution. It's a legal and social one. "

Exactly.

IMO, our nation has made marriage a matter of state. As such, it has become a civil right. The denial of such a right is discriminatory and unconstitutional. An individual religious denomination has the right to not marry a homosexual couple in their church, temple, etc--but the state doesn not have such a right to deny a homosexual couple the right to be married in a civil ceremony.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 5:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2008