why do we say corn on the cob?

I know we have a ton of ways corn is made but if you buy corn in the can they just call it corn. then you buy natural corn and we call it corn on the cob. I was just wondering if anyone knew why...

Brittyt4you_

Asked by Brittyt4you_ at 2:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Because its on the cob..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• because in the can it's just the corn, when it's fresh it's still on the cob..... this seems like a really obvious answer to me, lol.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Because it is still on the cob. If it isn't, you call it whole kernal, cream style or any other name.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yep, because it's on the cob...

Cob: core of corn ear: the hard core to which individual kernels of corn are attached
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Because it is on the cob still. That is how you distinguish between the two.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• but why dont we say like banana in the peel or watermelon on the rine?
    Brittyt4you_

Comment by Brittyt4you_ (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Still on the cob. Fresh corn on the cob is awesome!!
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 2:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• IDK it just really bugs me that we live in such a processed food times they we have to be so specific about how fresh corn is still on the cob. and not in a can!
    Brittyt4you_

Comment by Brittyt4you_ (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Your summer is getting too much for you, you are getting bored and sounding like my 17 yr old...LMBO!!!! I'm teasing now,,,,

corn is corn when it is off the cobb...the cobb is the thing that secures the corn so we may eat it fresh that way or slice it off
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes there is so much processed food/fast food and easy ways to throw a meal together and schools cutting cooking class that the next generation will be lost and won't know what real cooking is or means....no wonder America is getting fat all the chemicals in the food it is no longer pure
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2010