1 month old wanting to nap on tummy?

do you think its bad if i let my 1 month old nap on his tummy? he cries if i put him on his back, but right now i layed him on his tummy and he stayed asleep. Im sitting right next to him keeping an eye on him, but do yall think its bad?
I think i read somewhere it can increase the risk of SIDS, but im not sure if im confusing that info with something else.

BrittanyD07

Asked by BrittanyD07 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my children rearely slept on their backs, they are all tummy babies and they are just fine
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 2:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It is not recommended due to increased SIDS risk but also we sometimes do things to get our kids to sleep. Having a fan circulating the air can reduce SIDS risk, and of course no blankets, animals, etc in babies bed at this point. A lot of babies have a hard time sleeping on their back due to the startle reflex which causes them to suddenly startle like they are falling. This can be helped by swaddling so that the arms can not flinch and cause baby to become unsettled. So you may have luck getting baby comfy on his back if you swaddle him. Otherwise I would say be as cautious as possible. It's great when you can be there next to baby but if this becomes his sleeping pattern at night, too, it would make me really nervous, especially because baby is so young. Once they are a little older and can turn over on their own many babies prefer tummy sleeping but by that point it becomes safer. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It does increase SIDS risk. However, my DD who is 3 never slept a night on her back. She simply wouldn't sleep other than on her tummy. There were no blankets in her bassinet until she could turn over and there was always a fan blowing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You can let the baby nap on his tummy on your chest. It's not safe on a bed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Alone in a crib across the house in another room? Not safe.
    Beside you on your chest or safe sleeping surface? Safe.
    It is also good to wear your baby chest to chest (face visible at all times) in a wrap/sling/mei tai . That way your baby gets to sleep comfortably and safely, and you get to move around freely.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• my little girl is napping on her tummy right know! she hasn't slept good all day today or yesterday but as soon as I put her on her tummy, out like a light she goes! at night I do swaddle her and put her on her back/side with a blanket behind her
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 3:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son could roll over and lift his head at 4 weeks so he's slept on his tummy since then.. We never put blankets or stuffed animals in the crib with him.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 4:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Tummy sleeping increases the risk of SIDS, and I encourage you to always lay your LO down on his back. Have you tried swaddling? That really helped my LO sleep. We used Halo sleepsack swaddles, and LOVED them!
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 5:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010