I take care of a little girl that is 10 years old. She has Autism. Her father is a single man and asked me if I could help him with his daugther and talk to her about becoming a young woman. Her body is changing and she is possible going to start her menstruation. How do I talk to her about this and know for sure that she's understanding me?

Autism child - Menstruation, how do I explain this to her and know that she is understanding me?

Anagonzales

Asked by Anagonzales at 1:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I went to the library an got a book that told it all.Showed pictures even showed how to use a pad a tampon.What to expect with changes an feelings they have an what is allowed when it comes to touch.I dont recall the name of it.THey have one for boys an one for girls.Im sure more than that.Its a good place to start.This book is written simple an easy to understand.
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Does she go to Special Ed at school? Even though I've had my talk with my daughter, the school health class covered it also--with brochures and demonstrations on how to use a pad. Ask the dad to ask her teacher directly or give you permission to talk to the teacher on how to approach it. Also depends on the degree of autism.
    mushmushmom

Answer by mushmushmom at 12:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• This man must really trust and respect you to help out in such a personal way. Having a son with autism myself and seeing other children with it, there is a wide variety of ways it affects each child. Since you take care of her, you are the best judge for what she is able to understand.

I agree this needs to be done. Starting a period can be an unsettling event for a girl and if you don't know what is happening, very traumatic. There are many good books on sex education available that would be helpful.

Another thing. Has she been taught about appropriate and inappropriate touching? Now that she is getting older her father might want to think about that one as well. I was very aware of the fact that I might not always be around to protect my son so I painstakingly taught him how to do it himself. It's not easy, but it will calm your mind later on.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Join the group Autism, Aspergers, PDD.....pm me if you want the link. It's a public group here on cafe mom!! There are thousands of mothers with autistic children that would be able to help you with this and any other ???'s They have the autistic children and nobody, no books knows better!!
    abearshug

Answer by abearshug at 10:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008