What would you think of this ?

First day of school and I meet one of my daughters friends who - both girls are 11 .... this girl has a young step mom who is rasing her ( father is away alot) and obviously this step mom is more like a friend than a mother.... this 11 year old girl has fake nails ( french tip), styled, highlighted & dyed hair, obviously has tanned, and is covered in a "shimmer" ........I am thinking that my daughter isnt going to hang around her anymore...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• wow... judgmental much?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thats not really very fair. You haven't given the person a chance yet based on her outer appearance.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• So, her appearance dictates whether or not she is a good person? Wow, way to be judgmental and prejudice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• just because she has fake nails and tans doesn't make her a bad kid for DD to hang out with
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

•  Maybe she takes the little girl to have her hair and nails done as a way to spend time together. I've heard it's not easy being a step parent and she could possibly just be looking for a way to 'connect' with her.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• aww, don;t do that just because of the way the girl looks. The step mom is probably just doing girly things with the girl not realizing that some of it may be a bit much for her age.
    Other than that, does the girl act inapporpriately?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think people have the right to make decisions about the appearance of their children. I wouldn’t punish my child or the other child be forbidding them to be friends. Rather, I would be glad that I can instill different values in my own child and be comfortable with my abilities to do so.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• How much do you know about the girl? Are you really not going to let your daughter hang out with someone because they have highlights and a tan?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't think the fact that they are into girliness and makeup and such reflects on the parenting relationship or the child. Unless there were some concerns about her behavior, I wouldn't have a problem with it. And if there were concerns about the behavior, I would probably be more in favor of having the child over to my house where I could supervise the friendship rather than trying to ban it outright because you can't force them to stop seeing each other at school.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i dont think you are wrong for not wanting your dd to hang out with her. the world is pushing kids to grow up too fast. let young girls be young girls. then we wonder why kids are having sex as young as age 12.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 2:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010