After a disaster....

I was trying to find out if it is true that after a disaster such as a hurricane where you are without of electricity for days , if it is true that you can make a claim with your insurance company and they wills somethimes reimburse you for an amount to cover food spoilage if you did not have any other damage done. I was told that sometimes they will give you like $500.00. Has anyone had this done for them before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• I had a fire a year ago and I was given $200 for food spoilage, that was what my policy allowed. It should be stated in your policy somewhere.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes. We just had a massive wind storm a couple weeks ago and were without power for a week. I know several people that got checks for their food. Some you may have to meet your deductible first. check your policy.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 2:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You would have to check your policy. It's different from company to company and policy to policy. If you are unsure call them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2008