So I lost my babysitting job, because I let my daughter play dress up with makeup...

How fair is that ?

I have been babysitting a boy ( before and after school ) .... yesterday when his mom came to pick him up my 4 year old daughter came out and was wearing a princess dress, "shimmery" eyeshadow, and pink lipstick .... I doesnt bother me if she wants to pretend and wear it, I also did that at her age.. I dont believe by letting her play that I am forcing her to grow up or damaging her future.... but the woman I was working for does. She basically told me all of that ( foring her to grow upa nd damaging her future) and that she doesnt believe this enviroment is right for her son ( who was NOT playing dress up or wearing makeup) . She also told me she never let her daughter wear makeup, but her daughter is now 18, lives with her boyfriend, dropped out of school, has no contact with her family, and when I seen her photo wears enough makeup for 3 people. So really SHE is telling me what not to do with mine ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Wow..thats messed up!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thats over the top. My dd likes to play with make up...but in no way would I let her go to church or walmart with REAL makeup on. Its just play!

Oh well, she overreacted....maybe she was looking for a reason to stop bringing him to you or something?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• doesn't have to be fair, she can hire or fire whoever she chooses for whatever reason she chooses
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• what a b-tch!
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm guessing it was more than just that incident. How long have you been babysitting this boy? Do you and the woman get along? Seems awfully impulsive to immediately pull her child over something like this. I think she saw an out and took it, for what reason, I don't know...

My DD5 likes to use play makeup and she dresses up like a princess fairly often, I don't think its a big deal at all.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When I read that I first though that maybe she was looking for a reason to fire you and that situation just happen tocome up
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• she's concerned about a little girl playing dress-up? I'd say good riddance. Wonder what she's gonna do if she puts her boy in daycare and see all the kids (boys and girls) playing with those little kitchen sets with play food, pans, etc. All little girls play dress-up, mine had play make-up and often took over a pair of my high-heeled shoes.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yeah.either the woman is a complete nut or you left something out.......
    I just don't think it was a bad thing for your 4 year old to be dressed up,with make-up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't know what to tell you...some parents are concerned that their children may grow up too fast, especially the way society is today. But she was waaay over the top. I say good riddance!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, I agree what you were/are doing is just fine, and that it's her option to or not to allow her children to do the same. However I do find it rather petty of her to stop you from watching her son for something like this...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010