what the hell is this?

What the hell is an emotional affair? I was just listening to a radio show and a woman thought the financial stress in her marriage led her hubby to an emotional affair. What is it and do you believe in it?

cattiesmom78

Asked by cattiesmom78 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Talking.. No physical contact.. Sexting..things like that. & I definitely believe in it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• In my opinion it's when a man cheats, just not physically. Like he falls for another woman and has a relationship and feelings for it just doesn't get physical.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• An affair with someone for emotional support w/no sex involved. So they claim. Never had emotional sex , only the emotions I have when I have sex with S/O
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well a sexual affair is when a married person is turning to someone outside the marriage for sex, and an emotional affair is when a married person is turning to someone outside the marriage for emotional support and develops feelings for someone else.

I guess they are real, but like anything every couple has their own boundaries about what is ok. Some people consider it an emotional affair if their man turns to another woman for emotional support, but I don't see how that is so different from turning to a male friend for emotional support.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Emotional affairs are when a spouse/partner becomes more emotionally involved, attached to, a person other than their spouse/partner.

Emotional affairs usually start out as friendships that develop into deeper feelings. This usually happens when friends share marital issues, comiserate over problems and issues (usually about marital ones), ect... This leads to: emotional attachment, the feeling that this person "understands" you more than your spouse, this person "cares" for you more than your spouse, this person listens to you more than your spouse..etc... These things/feelings cause the relationship to become deeper than a friendship. It's an actual romantic relationship without the physical aspect of sex/sexual contact. However. once someone develops those feelings deeply, sex/sexual contact is the next step on the ladder.

Emotional affairs are very easily started, and not realized until.. bam... feelings happen.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't believe in it because in my eyes every relationship is built on emotion before the sex so what happens when the emotions change to something else. That's pre-cheating
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 3:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When I don't see a person as emotional as i am , I relate that to my short sightedness of myself. I take it as it's just me over-reacting that way I won't say this negative thing about him towards,me, . Usually if a man is backlashing to me it's a short sight on his own inner lack of control. I can't take it personal, though it's really nicer to be receiving a compliment or a positive, only in the real world it's not there.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• What pixie trix said...that hits the nail on the head! and I have nothing to add to it
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I very much believe in it. I am guilty to a certain degree of this. I had a very close friend and he was coming between my huband and I very frequently. It caused a lot of prolems and made the ones that already existed before double in severity. I think it hurt my marriage worse than if I had just had sex with him.
    GlockMom

Answer by GlockMom at 3:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• How is that cheating?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010