My mornings with 5 years old are disaster- wake up late, eat slow, dress slow, at school by 11 and I am exhausted, and even this happen only if I yell. Help.

Not really much to add. Just SO late, it is 12 pm now and I am back home, in school it took my daughter 40 minutes to stay. Next week we starting the first grade and I am terrified. Help.

Anna G.

Asked by Anna G. at 2:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what do you mean "took her 40 min to stay"?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• huh?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 40 minutes to stay???? Just leave, if she is crying for you to stay and you do it....you are making it worse!

You need to create a schedule....time it out.....let her use stickers to mark off each chore she has done in the morning like this....

Eat 7:00-720
    Brush Teeth 720- 730
    Brush Hair
    Change Cloths
    Shoes on

ETC

This way you can just remind her of her chart and tell her to hurry to get her sticker to put on it.

Before long she will be in a good established routine. TRUST ME...it takes a while, and effort on your part but it works.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I meant that it took 40 minutes from 11am until my girl let me go and stay in child care without crying.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• How late is she staying up to wake up late for school at 11 AM? It sounds like she needs an earlier bedtime. And, if by "it took her 40 min to stay" you mean she is crying, etc., you just need to be firm and leave. If you stay, it will only make it worse.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Have her go to bed early so she is more rested and get up earlier to compensate for the slow eating and dressing.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Make a chart, and get some stickers and a timer. Give your 5 year old a certain amount of time to finish each task, brushing teeth, eating breakfast, dressing etc., even getting out of bed. If she does the task in the amount of time required, she gets a sticker for her chart, then if she earns a specified number of stickers she gets a reward, it can be something as simple as going to the park, or picking her favorite meal.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• the longer you stick around, the worse you make it
    say your good byes and leave, she will probably stop crying within a few minutes of going
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• make a board with stick on images of each thing she has to do in the morning and one for you to. Ex- an image of a shirt for getting dressed, a plate and cup for food etc. When each thing is doen you put up the image but you make a game out of it. First one to the end wins!
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thats what I thought you meant. That ONLY HURTS HER when you stay

I have worked in preschools for years and when moms do that, the kids suffer.

Give her a quick hug and kiss.....hand her off to a teacher even if she is crying for you.

She KNOWS that when she pitches a fit, YOU STAY! STOP!!!

She will get over it and learn mom but you have to let her!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010