How can we get the cat to stop peeing in the bathtub?

We left town for a week and, against my better judgement, left the cat's litter-box in the bathtub. Now he pees in it every night / morning if we forget to shut the door. He's ~8yrs old, litter-box trained, and fixed. Help!

LsMamaL

Asked by LsMamaL at 1:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pets

• Wow, OK... well cats HATE citrus scents. If you were to keep spraying your tub with a strong citrus scent then it will end. Or, you can keep a little bit of water at the bottom of the tub as most cats hate water.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Some cats will also pee in the bathtub when they have a bladder infection. While you were gone he may not drank enough waterand got an infecion.
    natesmom67

Answer by natesmom67 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i agree with natesmom67. either it's an infection, or he's really ticked off that you guys left and this is his way of telling you. i'd call your vet and bring in a clean urine sample. wash the tub really well, then after the cat pees in there siphon it up with a dropper asap and stick it in the fridge until you can bring it into the vet. don't let it sit in there for more than a few hours or they may not be able to run tests on it.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Well, it's better than your bed. :) I'd take him to the vet though.
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• We did have someone come check on him about 3 times to give him attention, food, and water. So I think he probably got enough water.
    LsMamaL

Answer by LsMamaL at 1:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think he thinks that the tub is one big litterbox. I think he is fine med. wise he's just found a bigger box.
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Sorry, but I had to laugh. I have no idea how to fix it though.
    tcmeeler

Answer by tcmeeler at 12:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• A medical reason should be ruled out first with any change in behavior. Especially with cats. Then address the behavior itself.
    aggiechristie

Answer by aggiechristie at 1:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• my cat did that once and she was very sick had to take her to thevet
    mom4life2347

Answer by mom4life2347 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2008