Diaper Rash HELP!!!

My son had a BM in his sleep last night. When I went in to get him his boy parts and his behind were absolutely RAW. I had to use wipes to clean the dried poo on him, which made we want to cry, as I knew it hurt; no matter how gentle I was. What can I use to get him to be not so raw; i tried a lukewarm bath and he screamed, I tried cornstarch he screamed, I tried vasoline and he screamed. I don't know what to do to make him feel better :( I have put his diaper on loosely and changed him often but it seems to not be getting any better at all....) HELP!

leoangel

Asked by leoangel at 1:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Airing out his little bottom should really help too. If you can put down some towels in his playpen and let him play in there naked. Or if you can keep him on a cleanable surface( like in the kitchen maybe) for as long as you can. My son had a horrible rash, and this was the only thing that helped. To prevent you can use the buttpaste every night when you put him to bed, just in case he poops in his sleep
    beckysue22

Answer by beckysue22 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Buttpaste... Its what i use... An give him some pain medz, i do... My 11m old gets them like crazy... Also never use wipes it really hurts them... Just run his bottom under the sink EVERTIME till the redness gos away... Jesse is a chunky kid so we do this everyday.... I feel for ya girl... I also got some of the GoldBond for babies and that cleared it up fast to... Good luck...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If his rash is actually a fungus, then there is nothing you can do to cure it except for prescribed medication for your baby. They will probably provide you with a hydrocortizone cream which has a higher strength than the ones you can buy over the counter. Also, you would alternate using a benzocaine topical cream, which is actually a womens vaginal cream like vagisil. My son had really bad rashes as a newborn, to the point that they were bleeding and the doctor told me it was good I came in b/c they just get worse.
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• cont....
    Cornstarch, would make a fungus grow instead of clearing it up and I was told never to use vaseline b/c the components that make up vaseline are similar to gasoline.
    As for the wipes, during a rash, I only used kleenex that were super soft, soaked in warm water. A wash cloth is too abrasive as is a wipe. When his rash is clear you might want to try sensitive and scent free wipes. Good luck rashes are awful!
    sleepymommaof2

• Well, I have always used sensitive wipes; for some reason, I just always preferred them as they did not have a strong smell and seemed softer to me. It's definitely not a yeast infection; as he has had that before; it truly is just irritation from his BM and urine. I just put him in his crib and took the diaper off completely, and laid towels underneath the crib sheet to soak up anything that may soak through during his nap. The Vaseline was the last resort (until I can get to the store; have to wait till my 9 year old get's home from school...) and I did notice it did actually take a lot of the raw look out of it. I did use the Vaseline for babies though, not regular Vaseline. When he awakes I will be heading to the store for butt paste. Thank You guys so much for your advice, as it just breaks my heart to see him in pain like that, I just want to make it disappear! :(
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 2:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008