how can i get my 13 month old to eat with out wathing cartoons?

my 13 months old will only eat if i put on a movie for her, the problem with this is she zones out on the cartoons and will take an hour sometimes longer to eat her food. if i dont put a cartoon on for her she will only eat a few bites and sometimes she wont eat at all with out a cartoon on.
does anyone know a good way to get her to eat with out cartoons?

vampire2007

Asked by vampire2007 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its better to always feed in a highchair with family meals so they can focus on their food only.. id eliminate the tv i learned the hard way.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 1:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i don't turne the tv on when my daughter eats. if she won't eat then eventually she will and she'll understand that we don't eat with the tv.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 2:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Don't turn it on...when she's hungry, she will eat. It will probably be harder on you than on her ! :)
    math_mom2

Answer by math_mom2 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Always have her eat on the high chair with the family so that she knows when is time to eat and time to watch tv. My daughter don't watch tv, she's not interested since we were told from a study not to have kids under 2 watch tv. It interfare with their train of thoughts.
    becky615

Answer by becky615 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• THANK YOU for asking this!! I have the same problem and my son is 2 1/2! For awhile we would eat our dinner in the living room with a movie on- because the kitchen table was covered in a project my hubby was working on... and now my son simply WON'T TOUCH his food at the table! So I always give in and move him to the living room, plug in a movie, and let him finish his meal. It's driving me crazy! Thanks for the advice ladies!
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• We tell our son that he can watch TV after dinner and he can pick the movie. Sometimes it back fires because he'll then tells us he's done with dinner before he even eats. We just wait it out and eventually, he eats.
    samandtorimom

Answer by samandtorimom at 4:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i put her in her highchair to eat butshe just trys to climb out right away if i dont put cartoons on for her. i dont want her to miss meals becuase her wieght is already a low.
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2008