HURRICANE KATRINA: IF GOD WILLING AND DA CREEK DONT RISE...

ok i watched the documentry IF GOD WILLING AN DA CREEK DONT RISE..last nite..they talked bout the after affects of Katrina...they mention how horrible it was..an the rebuilding process..one of the survivors mentioned how they rebuilt NO but instead of new affordable homes they tripled the rent an also added lluxery hotels...
i was just wondering..how it did look...
if u saw the documenty how did it affect u..

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 3:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I lived in Charlotte, NC when this happened... We got a HUGE influx of 'refugees' after the fact. Myself, brother in law, and a couple of friends all volunteered down there helping strip out houses, rebuild, etc.

All I have to say is that it was mismanaged, and no one persona is at fault.

The rebuilding process is ongoing, and some areas will never be rebuilt. The hotels, etc. were placed there to bring in revenue to help with the process. Unfortunately, it takes a little basic economic knowledge to understand this, which is why a lot of the residents were outraged... they simply couldn't grasp any long term plan for building revenue.
    It'll never be the same, and IMO anyone who chooses to move back is an idiot who deserves what they get.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Based on living with the 'refugees' who had months, and months, and months of paid housing, food stamps, medical, etc. and did NOTHING, only to destroy the complex upon leaving because they were angry (they had 9 months of FREE living, in which time they were supposed to secure work, go to school, etc.- NONE of them did). Again, claiming that they were being treated unfairly... I don't have much sympathy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• where did you watch it? any links?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thx for clearing the hotel processing for me..i only saw the docu. i don't know anybody who personally went dn there
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• oh it come on again tonite..on HBO @ 8...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We (as a group- I tagged along with a missions group from NC, and a group from JAARS whom I was friends with since childhood) went down there as soon as the waters were safely receded enough to begin to strip everything out.

It was undeniably horrid, and frankly, a lot of us came home horribly ill. They spent a year back and forth sending different groups down on rotation... At that point there was planning for rebuilding the tourist industry, which is what the city thrived off of to begin with, and became a pivotal point to developers when determining what to rezone as residential, and what to zone as commercial.
    Sadly, the vast majority disagreed with the decision, regardless of what it meant for rebuilding the economy.

Its undeniable that mistakes were made, but at this point I am so tired of hearing people claim they are disadvantaged when they could simply move on and try again elsewhere, instead of taking hand outs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• @ ObbyDobbie i didnt see that in the documentry..m/b i missed it or they left it out purposely..im goin to watch it again 2nite
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• there have been several documentaries. A LOT of things were left out that if I had no personal first hand knowledge of, I would never have known.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think a lot of the documentary is want Spike Lee wants people to see, not the WHOLE STORY. I have my own opinions on things have happened but, I will keep them to myself, they go pretty close to OD comment though. Put should have shown A LOT more personal responsibility than they did, the citizens not the government.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It is interesting to hear from someone who was there. My impression is that it was a bad idea to build a city below sea level in the first place, and an even worse idea to re-build in the same area after the natural disaster. I remember seeing the mayor of N.O. on t.v. after it happened complaining about others who were not helping enough, but then it came out that he didn't evacuate people on the busses when he should have. A lot of those people had no way out.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010