I want to get a divorce but I am not sure how to go about it.I called an attorney and was told the fee would be $600.I want to know if anyone has any advice on the cheapest route I can take.I want to start the process ASAP!Thanks in advance for any advice I receive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• Contact your state bar association. Lawyers register with them. In at least some states, some lawyers will offer reduced rates to people referred to them through the bar.
    LsMamaL

Answer by LsMamaL at 2:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• In most states you can go to the court house an get papers an if you both agree do if for less than 300 dollars
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• LOL call that lawyer back!! $600 is cheap! Mine costs me THOUSANDS. But you can do the do-it-yourself..... with some research... but that becomes more complicated with children involved.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i did the divorce myself and it was really cheap probably less then the 300 mentioned. you file the papers, send a process server and then you appear at court. although if you have assets you may want a real good attorney then they could be very expensive but well worth the cost if he can save your valuable assets. if you don't have anything like i did with my first marriage then you can get the paperwork at the court and they have the guide lines on what the steps are to complete your divorce. i hope though that you considered the divorce very thoroughly.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• got mine done threw the court house myself cost me about $300.oo and they let me pay payments. if you both can agree on things and custody then its pretty easy to do.
    marykaysauer

Answer by marykaysauer at 2:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If you and your husband agree on things- do it yourself.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• look around and see who else would do it, i paid 219.00... i'm from ne philly i went down town in center city..
    heavensent1174

Answer by heavensent1174 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• $600 is a very small price to pay, if the lawyer is good. The situation is stressful enough. Pay the money if you are like me and had a hard, emotional time getting all the shit together myself. But like another mom said, there may be others out there that can help you file for less, if that cost is too steep for you to handle right now. Good luck!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 5:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• legalzoom.com
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2008