Organization ideas for tiny house with no closets?

Me, my husband, and our 2 kids (2 years and 4 months) all live in a tiny house with no closets. It's cluttered and driving me crazy. I need to figure out how I can organize it. The kids both have 1 little dresser a piece and my husband and I share a dresser. There is 1 little set of cabinets in the kitchen, a small cabinet under the sink and a tiny shelf about the toilet in the bathroom (plus a tiny cabinet under this sink)...and that's it. Our house is wide open like a flat. The only room with a door is the bathroom. The other rooms have no walls or doors. So, there isn't much room to hang things on the wall and there's no where to use over the door storage things. So, what can I do?!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Ikea makes really good wardrobe systems. You can go to ikea.com to look at them and they aren't too expensive
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 3:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would use shelving units to create walls, and make storage. Divide the areas with tall shelving units, maybe even put some hooks on the front or even backs of them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd get decorative baskets or storage containers and use those. An armoire might be helpful too, if you can get one. They usually have drawers and a closet like space. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• There isn't an Ikea around here.

What kind of shelving units ohwrite?

That sounds like it could be helpful. Any ideas where I could put the storage baskets LovingSAHMommy?

All good ideas so far.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Comment by Krystal.Ingalls (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Large baskets can be found at most craft stores but big box places like Target and WalMart have great choices too. Storage Ottoman Cubes would be great for linens. Under the bed rolling plastic storage bins with lids would be great for out of season clothes. Just because you don't have closets doesn't mean you have to live with clutter. A simple industrial metal shelving unit could work wonders by using it as a room divider and putting fabric bins with lids and uniform color on them and throw some plants on the top shelf. A simple short metal shelf unit next to the bathroom door could hold rolled towels and other bathroom stuff. Also, you need to decide if everything you have is really needed.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• http://www.containerstore.com/welcome.htm
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd buy large armoires at a used furniture store.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010