Do you read every day with your child?

even during the summer? does your child like books? likes when you read to hem/her?

Anna G.

Asked by Anna G. at 3:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 year old loves books. We read all the time. We actually take turns...every other page... he loves to read.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I feel like my daughter does not like books, or reading, i have a hard time to get her into that, she reads, but often with tears... so tell me more what do you do?
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• try to
    sometimes she just turns the pages
    but she is getting better at slowing down
    she is three and has autism, so going slow is NOT her thing
    but she is starting to point to things in books
    we practice using pointer finger
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My daughter is only 2 years old and we have been reading to her since I was pregnant... She absolutely loves her books (she has around 250 of them) You kind of get sick of reading to them but the way I look at it is If it helps them in school later in life then I am all for it.. Right now my husband and I have to read at least 3-5 books to her every nap time and at bedtime NOT TO MENTION THE 10 WE READ HER DURING THE DAY but it is good in the long run to keppe reading to them I think
    Jacky S.

Answer by Jacky S. at 3:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My oldest, 11, reads at least an hour a day, by himself. We have story time with our other two,4 and 2, twice a day, at naptime and bedtime. Our family LOVES books. Some kids are sad when they get a book as a gift, not mine. They jump around like they have just received a pony.
    gazi_2002@hotmail.com Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Every day. DS is 7 and can read by himself. He reads for at least 20 minutes. DD is 5 and isn't reading yet, but I also ready to her for 20 minutes every day. I've been reading to them since I found out I was pregnant with each of them.

You have to encourage it. You have to read to her. I promise if you start reading to her every day for at least 20 minutes, she will develop an interest!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 3:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• She is not ready that I or anyone will read to her. She reads by herself- but do it as a chore, if she encounters difficult word- she gets cranky and upset, might throw the book.
    Before we moved to a new house I used to read her bed time story, now she refuses it and asks only for massage.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If you can pm me I have some suggestions. My mil is on the American Library Association's reluctant reader advisory board. I am sure I have some suggestions, but I have to go pick up my oldest from school so I don't have time to answer now.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• SleepingBeauty, I am not sure what pm is and how to do that... be glad for any suggestions whenevr u have time.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Just don't close the question and I can come back a bit later. Since you are not a cafemom member, I can not pm {personal message} you. If you close the question I will not be be able to contact you.

:D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010