What are your house rules?

I have a 5 and 3 year old, we are in desperate need of some house rules.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 3:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• no booze before lunchtime... oh wait.. thats me..sorry! ;)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think it is better to correct undesirable behavior rather than laying down a list of rules for little children to have to follow. Children have a very short attention span and are really not likely to remember a list of rules. But if you swat their bottoms for doing something that you have already told them not to do, they are pretty likely after repeating that sequence 2 or 3 times to think, "Hey, Maybe I better not do that again." This is how my husband and I trained our children, and it is how our grandchildren are being trained. It has been highly successful and so it's what I recommend. You just tell them one time to stop or what you want them to do. You don't threaten them or count or do anything else. It really is the best way I've ever seen to train children, and I'm 64 years old now. It's also the way I was trained.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No screaming
    NO hitting or throwing
    When someone say's stop you stop right then, not when you are ready. (my son is very grabby in his play)
    If it is in the living room it is to share. If you don't want to share it take it to your room.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no running, jumping, no climbing on furniture

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No mean words
    No physical violence
    Each person learns to pick up after themselves, and when old enough do appropriate chores to contribute to the household
    Each person should treat everyone else in the house (and their property) with respect and consideration (the golden rule)
    Schoolwork is the first priority for kids, then chores
    Can't find time for schoolwork, don't have time for friends, video games etc.,

Of course some of these come into play more as they get older, and there are more, but these are the basics.

My favorite rule is "Mom's Dirty Word Rule"- say something dirty, clean something dirty.....and on my list are things like calling someone stupid, ugly, I hate you.....anything mean....... so if one of my kids called the other one stupid, he might have to clean a floor, a toilet, whatever, but of course it would be age appropriate.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We do not have much...

No hitting.
    No eating near TV,
    Cleaning after ourselves
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• we don't really have any big rules made out...he just knows he better behave and do as i say.
    some things i have always i guess made a "rule" from the start were
    . you must ask for snacks
    . you go to bed when i say so..(no questions asked) he usually does have a time though..around 9ish
    . you do not answer the door
    . you do not put your hands in my face and talk at me..you can talk to me
    thats pretty much it..as far as i can think of..we are realy easy going.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no throwing toys
    no touching the tv
    no touching the PS3 unless mom or dad is in the room

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010