any moms out there like me? (sahms of older school age kids)

I am making it a point to get out there and socialize this school year!
Does anyone else find themselves more isolated now that the kids are older. Before they were in school, of course, there were always ladies to hang with... at the park, mommy & me groups, playdates, etc.
Then when they were in school there were volunteer opportunites, sports, playdates, ect.
But now that they are older I find myself isolated. Sports practices are drop off events, there are no more in class volunteer opportunities, there are no more playdates.
Its just me... at home... alone.

This year I promised my self to get out and socialize to have some adult converstation.

How about you???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 5 years old, but indeed feel more isolated than when she was say two. So I think you are making a good point.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My only has left home for college now.

I have found myself becoming more and more socially active over the years. The older he got, the more freedom I had, the more opportunity I had for socializing. Not just in regards to school/school events..etc.. But also personal time for me and me alone to go out and socialize as "me" not mom/classroom mom/pta etc.. but me, me going out and enjoying myself during some me time.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, but for different reasons. While my son is older and in school, he has special needs, so I have always needed to be available for IEP meetings, doctor's appointments, therapy appointments and emergencies, so it was impossible for me to get or keep a job (trust me, I tried!). However, now that he is in a special school with a full-time nursing staff, I'm looking for a full-time job again and can't wait to get out of this house!!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My 15 yo just started virtual school at home. I guarantee I'll be needing some socializition soon. lol
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 4:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My oldest is only 10 but I never did any of that stuff when they were little. I've never volunteered at their school and don't do playdates or mommy & me groups. I started dropping kids off at sports/events at our park when they were 8 because it was boring to sit for an hour in the gym. I'm shy, though, and more of a loner. I don't like being around a lot of people and don't really want to be making a ton of friends. I prefer to hang out on my own.
    I can't wait for my younger 2 kids to be in school full time (they are 4 and 6 weeks so it's going to be awhile) then I'll get to do things on my own without kids tagging along or driving me bonkers all day. I can't wait.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My youngest just started kinder and my other 2 are in middle school. I know what you mean. I am shy by nature but want some interaction. Luckily, I've connected with a couple of moms at the school (it's k-12) and I will have a walking companion for as long as the weather holds.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I find myself MORE busy now that they are older ... not just with school volunteer opportunities (that could be a full-time job, in and of itself) but with everything.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010