how do u drink alcohol and still breast feed?

I would like to have a drink every now and then but a dont want my son to have any effect from the alcohol.What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think your supposed to drink at all when your breast feeding but i did ask my mom that question when i was breast feeding and she said something about pumping for like 48hrs to make sure all of the alcohol is out of your system then you can continue to breast feed but i asked my doctor and he said that he wouldnt recommend it.
    sarrrr13

Answer by sarrrr13 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I was told to pump before I drank and that I could have one or two and the effects would go away in a few hours.
    CorinnaA.

Answer by CorinnaA. at 2:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• you don't...
    Anonymous

• it is a myth that pumping after drinking will rid the alcohol in your milk. You can have a drink or two with out it affecting your baby. Your child only gets a small percentile out of your milk, which is not even one percent of the alcohol you ingested. However, its better to be safe than sorry and only have a drink on an "every now and then" basis. If you are feeling "tipsy" or "inebriated" your should wait a few hours to breastfeed.

sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If you can feel the effects, then so can the baby. When I took my breastfeeding class, the instructor recommended nursing while having a drink, because the alcohol wouldn't get into the milk to that nursing session, and would have filtered out by the next one.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It depends how much you have. About half a drink, (such as half a beer, 1/2 oz. in a mixed drink, etc.), just make sure you don't feed your baby for AT LEAST half hour after drinking it, and your baby will have no effect from it. I was advised that when I was trying to get my supply up. Beer works wonders. But the best course of action, of course, is to not drink when you're breastfeeding.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• When I was BF'ing, and I knew I was going to want a drink that night, I pumped so that I had enough to last from the time I started drinking, and through the first feeding of the morning.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Talk to your OB...it's not a bad question to ask, they really won't get at you for asking.
    Alcohol metabolizes through in about 1 or 2 hours, per drink. I can't remember which.

Also, too much alcohol can make your milk supply go low.
    kittynala

Answer by kittynala at 4:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• A lactation consultant told me that one beer, 4 ounces of wine, or 1 ounce of hard liquor was fine to drink if you waited until 2 hours afterward to breastfeed. If you need to feed sooner, give a bottle and pump and dump. I myself have had the occasional glass of wine or homemade margarita using these guidelines, and there have been no adverse effects.
    schwoody

Answer by schwoody at 6:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You don't. It was your choice to breastfeed. If you knew you were only going to want to think of yourself and drink then you shouldn't have started breastfeeding in the first place.
    pookie_1228

Answer by pookie_1228 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2008