how do you get a 21 month old to stop putting things in her mouth?

my dd is 21 months old, and everything her little hand's go on goes straight into her mouth...i have told her no it's yucky...and i have taken things away and told her that i took it away because she wont keep it out of her mouth and it don't belong in her mouth.
I do not believe in spanking her, so please do not leave a comment telling me to spank her when she put's thing's in her mouth, cause that's just not going to happen!
Any other advise or tips on how i can get her to stop putting everything in her mouth?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 3:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is how little kids explore and learn. As long as it's not deadly or full of germs, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• most of the things are...aka, chalk,rocks,grass..everything her hands goes in goes in her mouth!
    mommylisar

Comment by mommylisar (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• She is supposed to put things in her mouth at that age. Stop telling her no or give her things she is allowed to put in her mouth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Simply correct her every single time you see her put something in her mouth that she shouldn't have. And be consistent.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 3:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That is exactly how my daughter is. Rocks we don't allow because she could choke, but if she wants to gnaw on some non-poisonous grass, go right ahead kiddo! We try and keep her free to explore everything that is safe for her. Like I said, that is how kids learn at this age. I really would not try and stop that because every kid does it.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think she's just going to do it... if its something gross stop her...but that's just the way things are at this age
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Don't let her have anything that is smaller then her fist then she can't fit it into her mouth. That is the unwritten rule and that is what all the pediatricians as well as regular doctors say!!! Message me and let me know how it works. Got to go to work message me we'll talk tomorrow!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• its a phase. She will get over it !
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• All you can do is wait for her to grow out of that stage. Some do it early, some don't. Just be diligent in telling her calmly that certain things can not go in her mouth. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My 9 month old is always finding fuzz and rocks. I just try to keep all those things off the ground and have stuff she can put in her mouth. If she gets something she should I just take it away from her.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010