My cat was trapped by a neighbor

SO my cat was trapped by a neighbor(perfectly within their rights) and taken to animal control. He had a micro chip so they could find me and I could claim him. He was dropped off along with 2 other cats I didn't recognize. though I am a little annoyed that they are trapping I am worried about the other neighborhood cats. I was thinking of putting up a sign that said:

ATTN:Outdoor cat owners
Apparently there is a problem with the cats in the neighborhood and someone is trapping them and taking them to animal control. They are well with in their rights to trap on their property so please take necessary precautions with your outdoor cats. Please make sure your cats are tagged or micro-chipped! If not animal control won't be able to find you and you pet will destroyed with in 3 days time! Thankfully my boy was micro-chipped but the 2 cats trapped and dropped off with him were not as lucky.

Helpful or asking for trouble

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pets

• they shouldn't kill those cats! its wrong a feral cat isn't a danger its just an unsocialized cat and can live a happy healthy life outside ..here is a site u can use as a tool to help educate your animal control facilities http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=191 . TNR {trap neuter return is the only way! :) thanks and i hope u do look at this site theyre called the alley cat allies if the link doesn't work please Google it im striving to improve education of the public on feral/ally cats
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I am sorry your cat got taken to Animal Control and am glad you were able to pick him up in time. On the other hand, I do understand why some people get frustrated with outdoor cats. I LOVE cats and have 4 of them myself, and they all stay indoors. I have neighbors cats coming up to my windows, starting crap with my cats, who then get VERY upset and start attacking each other. The outdoor cats hunt in my yard too, which drives me crazy to no end. I love wildlife and it sickens me when I catch the neighbors cats killing animals in my yard--that is exactly why I have indoor cats (and for their safety too). I have never taken one of them to animal control though...I try to grin and bear it and shoo them out of my yard. I'm not taking this person's side, I just wanted to explain why some people get irritated about it. Anyway, yes, I would post the sign to help prevent others from ending up at the pound. Good luck w/ the situation
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think they should be made aware of it.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 4:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd totally put the sign up, as well as fliers in convenient places. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Not asking for trouble, but have you asked your neighbor what the issue is? Is you cat digging in their flowerbeds or anything like that? If you show them that you are trying to be responsible for your pet, they might just call you to tell you that they have your cat again.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• go ahead put those signs up thats very helpful
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't see why it would cause issues. If your neighbor who is trapping is doing it to round up feral, stray, etc cats then those of you who are responsible owners have no more problem than going to pick up the cats. The neighbor may just be sick of cats on his land and maybe this will encourage other owners to try to keep theirs on their own--a help to him. Is he trying to trap cats or something else? We were trying to catch a coon breaking into our chicken coop and caught two cats in the traps.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 4:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• While the signs might be helpful, it might also be a good idea to talk to the other neighbors in person and warn them about the 'trappers' .
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That sucks! I trap cats myself but I have always told my neighbors ahead of time so that they will keep their cats inside that night.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would. Someone might be looking for their cat, and have no idea what happened. Your neighbor shouldn't be trapping cats for no reason.

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2010