How much of the activities your child do after school?

So far my daughter doing only swimming, but other moms take their daughters ballet, gymnastics, music, languages. I feel like I should do more... what do you think?

Anna G.

Asked by Anna G. at 4:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids have swim three times a week, martial arts three times a week, and they go to our martial arts classes twice a week.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• don't feel pressured to do more, kids are WAAAAAAAYYY overscheduled these days
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My kids never did anything... couldn't afford it... They are 16 & 17 and are no worse for wear.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Let your dd be the guide. I agree kids are way over scheduled! My dd does swim team and girl scouts and 4H. Girl scouts is twice a month, and 4H is only once a month on sat. Swim team is in the winter and summer and is 3 days/week for about 3 months each season.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• right now nothing. he was in karate but it got so expensive. Oh, i wish i could get foodstamps so i could afford everything.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, at first she wanted a lot, gymnastics, Spanish, math, swimming, then now...she seems like a teenager- she does not want anything...I don't know...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My kids do nothing. I think kids are involved in way too much now a days. Kids need free time to just do whatever or nothing. Last year I limited my kids to 2 things through our park district. My 8yo son did floor hockey. My 7yo daughter did gymnastics and Girl Scouts. My 4yo dd did gymnastics. My 10yo dd did nothing. The park classes were 1 hour a week, Girl Scouts was twice a month right after school. The 7yo will probably do Girl Scouts again if they have a troop at her school (she'll be a Brownie this year) but I doubt the other kids do anything. We moved and can't afford that kind of stuff.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think people are over scheduling their kids soooo much that the kids are loosing out on down time.

No wonder they are starting to do drugs so early 1) they need a release or 2) they have no idea how to entertain themselves anymore.

Heck my son gathered a bunch of boys to go to the park and play touch football.  Wouldnt you know some busy body mom came and told them the rules.  What ever happened to learning by doing. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I feel we're overscheduled. I have a 6 year old who is in Gym 1x/week, soccer 1x/week, dance 1x/week. I really wanted to get a feel for what she likes as well and we can't stand soccer... but we paid $200 for it and I"m just going to finish it... but I hate it.

My daughter loves dance and gym and should have just let her be the guide.

Honestly, it gets expensive and it gets too much for the whole family... and what happens when the next kid gets into actiities? You'll never be a family unit!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010