how can i get my 2 yr old to stop hitting

mysnis1n150

Asked by mysnis1n150 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• firm patience and continually reminding them that it is not allowable behavior
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• slap his hand when he hits you or someone else. It worked for my friends son.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 4:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have to disagree with tryin2BGOOD- it makes no sense to me to teach a child not to hit by hitting him. It is just sending a really mixed message. I use time out for my daughter and have since she was a year old and started the hitting and biting stage. She got over it pretty quickly but now and then her emotions get the better of her and she will try to hit, and then she gets a warning, if it continues again she is immediately into time out for 1-2 minutes with an explanation that she has time out for hitting, when time out is over she is reminded that she had time out for hitting and I ask if she would like to say sorry (she always does) and if she would like a hug, and then it is over. Patience and consistency are key in whatever you do. I try to be firm but not mean and I try not to lose my temper. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My daughter responded really well to positive messages. I didn't hit her or put her in time outs, I reminded her that we are gentle and kind. She got over the hitting really quickly.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Find what works with you child. Every child is different some learn with positive reinforcement, some with timeouts, taking toys away, even poping their hands. But whatever your trying needs to be done with consistency. I have four and each one is different. My oldest taking things away and my youngest son with timeouts.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd have to agree with the time outs
    momof5monsters

Answer by momof5monsters at 12:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010