Starting daycare/preschool for the first time.

I have a 16 month old son whom I have stayed at home with since he was born. I do get out for playdates, to the park, to the mall to socialize him a bit, but he is with me, my husband or Grandma for the most part!

My husband feels we should put him in a daycare/preschool a few days a week to get him used to other kids and to help him learn things quicker. I am sick at the thought of this....I feel so protective of Thomas. I worry about other kids being mean to him, him getting sick, getting hurt, not eating, not having regular diaper changes, etc, etc, etc. The more I think about it, the sicker to my stomach I feel -- I really don't know if I can do this.

What do you Moms out there think? Did anyone else make this transition with their toddler? Where did you take your little one (what type of facility)? Any helpful hints?

SID7

Asked by SID7 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my boys to pre school at the age of 3 to socialize and learn before kindergarten. it was a facility in which I could come and go freely as well as volunteer during my spare time. I don't believe I colud ever have let go of them at such a young age. one thing to remember if your not comfortable for any reason leaving him somewhere then don't leave him a mother always knows best.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It may be a little young to start preschool, but at the same time your husband does have a point. Maybe as an in between thing, you could see if you local rec center has a toddler tumbling class or other similar activity. Then you could be on the side lines if anything serious does happen, but standing back so he can learn some stuff on his own. Or get a membership at a gym with a daycare. Then you are in the building and can go check on him every few minutes during your workout, or less often if you feel comfortable.And all of those things you worry about are normal, and are also bound to happen. But teaching him to interact with other kids will teach him how to handle it. And catching colds now will help build his immunity.

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I was in the same boat you are in a few months ago! Since I have worked in the preschool environment you see how teachers work with children. Some are good and some are bad! This made me make my decision NOT to put my child into childcare. Obviously, I am contradicting my profession, but I just felt like there wasnt a need for childcare if we could be with him. I have children joining my preschool program who are three or four and adapt very fast to the setting. Children are very social and act a lot differently when they are away from their parents. You have to choose a provider you trust and knows truly cares for your child like they would their own. I have picked up my friends child with her before and every child was crying and no one was doing anything about it! Choose wisely.
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• you are already involving him in social activities so I wouldnt worry about it. Either path you choose just explore all of your options.
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My Son just turned 3 and I'm a stay at home mom too. We do everything together & he has learned so much with being around me. I teach him things on every trip out that we take or even at home if it's from reading a book, cleaning or even baking cookies etc. I am planning on putting him into preschool a year before he starts kindergarten just so he gets a feel of how everything works in a school. I even try to explain that when we have to get in a line at the bank or grocery store that he will have to do this in school too. I just want him to be older where he can explain to me better how school was for him since I wont be there to see for myself. If you teach your son & he has playtime with his friends for socail group reasons, then I think he will do just fine! Good luck on whatever you decide but just make sure that you both are ready, that way it will make it easier.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 4:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I am a pre-K teacher and a full-time working mother to a 16 month old. My daughter has been at daycare and a sitters house since she was ten weeks old. I would tell you to ask to observe the class, get there department of Education rating and speak with parents who already have children there. Remember that it will be a transition for you and your child but your child and your child's Kindergarten teacher will be thanking you in the long run.
    EmmieandMom

Answer by EmmieandMom at 9:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my boys are twins and started the twin lang. they know what each other is saying. yes they say some english words lol* but mostly to each other. we are going to put them in day care for a few days a wk like tues and friday... that way they get use to it. I am about to go to basic so this might help when dh has to work mil has to work and my mom can't do it.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• we're trying to get our 2 1/2 year old into child care for socialization. the big thing to put your mind at ease is really check out the facilities around you. check it out during normal operation hours. if you can, talk to the person your child would be with. ask about the activities they do and make sure they don't mind parents randomly dropping in to see their kids.
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 9:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2008