Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I move out & prepare for divorce?

My husband has betrayed me & I can't stay with him any longer- I have no trust left in him.
I want to know how can I move out- where can I go- can I get any govt help to get me on my feet?
I am a sahm- haven't needed to work in 4 years. we rent our house both names on the lease & only a few months left on it. We own both vehicles & they are in my name. I don't care about his car- he can have it.
I don't have any family or good friends that I can move in with, even temporary.
Our kids are not in school yet & I don't have anyone/ anywhere to provide care for them while I go look for a job or when I start working.
I want to have a plan so I can stop sleeping on the couch & till the divorce go through & I get child support.
Thanks for any pointers/ direction you can give.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • Just do it :)

    Answer by Zoeyis at 4:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Not 100% sure on this, but being married the government could likely take his income into consideration. I would start with your local welfare office however and see what they can work for you. Sometimes, if you explain yourself thoroughly enough, they might be able to help you. I'd also suggest you contact Legal Aid and see if they can find an attorney to work with you pro-bono. Most attorneys only go through Legal Aid so flipping pages in the phone book is going to do very little. Back to the welfare thing, they might require that you file for divorce before they give you assistance... So filing needs to happen immediately. GL!

    Answer by Glamourina at 4:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Women's shelters are a great place to start there are usually counselor and people available to help with what services you quify for. I;m sorry for what your going through, but you are on the right track now, good luck to you.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Do expect a 3-4 month wait if you have to rely on Legal Aid though. They tend to be very booked up. Here is their website:

    Answer by Glamourina at 4:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • You may want to try Jobs & Family Services to find out what type of help you are eligible for. Next, start applying for jobs or to go back to school (at least part time) I feel sorry for anyone in this situation- but just know that you will make it thru this & be a stronger person for doing so. Good Luck!

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Contact your local welfare office.. But you won't receive enough to stay at home with your children. You are going to need to apply for childcare assistance and find yourself a job. Also, you need to hire a lawyer or get legal aid before you move.. Maybe they can get you temporary custody granted.. But if your husband is the one working, it will be hard. If you leave with the children without a custody order, your husband can take the children at any point and there will be nothing you can do about it. I have already been in this situation.. So make sure you cover all your bases before leaving.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • i know this might sound like a stupid question, but why assume YOU need to leave? i know it's not simple to make someone leave, but in the end if you take some legal action to make him move out, then you relieve yourself of trying not only to move yourself but the kids too... if he is the one causing the problem, then he can deal with the consequences. call your local constable to find out what you need to do to legally get him out - you probably need to contact the landlord and ask that he be evicted through regular process (not sure how this will go over with you...). also, if you live where there is legal separation, you can ask for assistance - call the family courts. of course everyone will tell you they can't give you legal advice so make sure you frame it as what papers do i need to file, etc.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • I have no idea since I've never been in this situation, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. :)

    Answer by poptart0325 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.