S/O of how to become Christian .... (for the non-Christians)

An anonymous poster asks the question of how to become a Christian, and while the good majority of the answers appear to be from well-intentioned Christians, there are a couple of responses from non-Christians, not just belittling Christianity, but implying that the anon poster is an idiot for even asking the question. My question to the non-Christians is this ... why do you care if someone wants to become a Christian? Is Christianity that offensive to you that you would want to keep someone from becoming one? If God doesn't exist (or at least the God of the Bible), then why put forth such effort to suppress Him?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• and while the good majority of the answers appear to be from well-intentioned Christians

And this is why you fail - some of those answers you approve of were also from non-Christians. You just choose to ignore them and assume that only Christians gave the answers you liked. That's an issue that needs to be fixed in you, not everyone else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• why do you care if someone wants to become a Christian? Because it's a W.M.D. I want to save at least one soul, so I have to keep trying to give them a real picture of it.

Is Christianity that offensive to you that you would want to keep someone from becoming one? Yes, it is. I lived it for almost 30 years--I know the damage it can do.

If God doesn't exist (or at least the God of the Bible), then why put forth such effort to suppress Him? I don't have to battle to supress that which does not exist. It's the IDEA of him that is so deadly.  It's the fantasy of god that does the most harm.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Obby I am so sorry you feel that way! It has to be hard to be so against something.

Yes, I am very aware that Christianity along with everything else in this sinful world is filled with travesty. That is b/c we are human. Humans screw things up....that does not mean we give up and throw it all away. Sort of like dont throw the baby out with the bathwater, you throw it all out, you might miss some of the good that comes out of it as well.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• because we are tired of having people walking around with screws lose.... they are "will tell you to fuc* off one minute"..then they are saying "god bless you" umm BIPOLAR!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Highly amusing post this is.

Why do I care if someone wants to be Christian? Because I view ALL religions as  blight on the world. They cause nothing but hate, war, division and destruction. I see absolutely nothing positive about it and those that do are delusional in their fake happiness and hope. Instead of believing in Gods, people need to believe in themselves and the world would be a better place. I like to think I'm saving them from a like of guilt-ridden false happiness that shrivels their self esteem and makes them dependant on myths to get through life. In short- by telling people how I view religion, I hope to help them because believe it or not, I actually CARE about my fellow man.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• @ momof2babes~ It's actually fostered an incredible "quality of life" not to be under religious control, but instead to trust in my ability as a self aware bipedal mammal, to do more good than harm, to live honestly, to be objective and decisive, to live by logic and reason- without having to be told that this is what SHOULD be done, or there will be punishment from above. There are far more impacting repercussions in the REAL world that should help anyone negate bad behavior in an instant. This is the difference between you and I, I do not need someone or some thing to show me what is good. :) I simply get to enjoy this short life that I have.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i never said i was a good christian. am horrible at it. i dont care if others belive in God or not, but when people start to make fun of God!! that boils my blood. and i do undertsnad why some people dont lie christians, so of them are judgemental.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I know where you are coming from pi wife....Its is frustrating to have someone not understand your point of view at ALL! Worse still, to make fun of your beliefs. But I just try to be aware of how my answers make others view me. If I make Jesus' name look in a bad light at all, then I have not done my job.

TRUST ME, I am no perfect Christian either, there is not one :) That is what non Christians dont understand.....we are sinners and make PLENTY of mistakes. All the time in fact!!! The world expects perfection from us, and when they dont ever find it....they cry hypocrite....they just dont understand.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• This is exactly my point .... If God doesn't exist, why go to such great lengths to make sure that no one else comes to faith in Him? It should be of no consequence to you that someone wants to join a religion that you don't believe in.

i agree everytime there is a post about God, she has to butt in like we care about her opinion. if God doesnt exist why do u talk about him, why do insisted on replying to a post that you know has to do with God.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Boils down to doing more good than harm. Christianity is one of the biggest causes of harm- if you can argue that, then I suggest you brush up on your history, if for no other reason than to understand your religion.

The "RELIGION" of Christianity (along with LOTS of other History) has caused harm and pain throughout the years. Religion is run by well meaning Christians...who are FLAWED!

This in itself is NOT a reason to throw out Christianity all together. I dont see anyone arguing that Christianity is perfect. But there are also WONDEFUL things that it brings to MANY around the world as well.

There is nothing on this Earth that is perfect!!! NOTHING!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010