how old?

was your kid before you let them play in the yard unsupervised? of course checking in on them. and was your yard fenced in or not?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 4:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Probably about 5 or 6 yrs old, we live in a very small community though and pretty much know every one of our neighbors. We didn't/don't have a fenced yard, typically we had every kid in the neighborhood in our front yard.
    If I lived in a larger city I might question if that was the appropriate age.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 5 and I check on her often
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd say 5 or 6...
    maybe 4 if the yard is fenced and there's nothing dangerous out there... depends on the kid I think
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• with their Autism, about 8, since they act so much younger.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Mine are 3 and 2 and ours isn't fenced in, so obviously not yet. But if it were fenced in, I would feel comfortable going into the house to pee (quickly) for a minute or grab a bottle of water. Maybe.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 5 with yard fenced in.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• At two, I felt comfortable walking in to grab something. By 4, he could play out for a bit without me right there. No fence.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think my older ones were 6 & 8. My 5 yr old has seizures so he needs to be supervised in the yard, but the older 2 are old enough to watch him.

My yard is not fenced and is bordered by a usually empty canal. They know they need to stay in front or on the driveway when the water is running. I always keep and eye and ear out for them as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My DD is 5 and DS is 3 and they both play in our fenced yard alone alot. DS would be outside all the time if he could and they are both fine by themselves out there. I check on them about every 15 mins, or so, a bit more often if its just DS out there alone. Both my kids are quite cautious and well behaved and Ive never had a problem with them being outside alone. We do live in a very small community and if we were in a bigger place it might be different.
    MamaZena

Answer by MamaZena at 5:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My ds has autism, he's 9 and I still won't let him out alone. He is prone to wander. His brother is 3 and I think maybe at 6 or 7 I might let him out. Maybe lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010