Has anyone sold Avon or something like it?

I received the Start-up kit from Avon today and have to admit I am completely intimidated. I need to do a work at home kind of job because of my son's special needs but I have no idea how to get started! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dear.Prudence

Asked by Dear.Prudence at 5:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Partylite Candles. Fun while it lasted
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My old roommate does and my aunt does but I do slumber parties which is not makeup but it does throw parties and show the product that we sell and so on
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I did do avon and I liked it, but the problem was running out of costumers- you can only expect family and friends to buy so much for so long- if you have the energy and resources to expand your costumer base I think it could be a profitable business- good luck!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Definitely get your books out there to people who live near you. Maybe take a few when you take your child to the park, leave them on the table when you go to McDonald's etc. Remind people on your facebook or myspace page of specials.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i wish i had this site when i sold it. everyone made huge orders then didn't have money for the stuff. you do meet alot of intersting people out there. be careful
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My mom sold Mary Kay. She put flyers on peoples doors, set up a booth at fairs, anything she could do to keep her name/product in front of people. Good Luck!!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Unfortunately I sold Avon for a few months last year. It was HORRIBLE. First, I couldn't get anyone to order (I put fliers up, talked to people, called people I knew that had bought it before, etc.). Then, once I did get a couple of people, no one wanted to pay for their crap when it came in, so I ended up paying more for the books and all that than I ever made. I made enough over 6 months to cover the cost of ordering books once or twice.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I sold it or I bought it for 15 Years! I was avon Rep. for 15 years! Mainly sold to me & my MIL.. Others turned out to be a hassle. I had a woman who's buy all the 69 cents lip balms use them and return them. All the Gas & driving!! Then in '02. Avon sent me all the time all the wrong stuff. I'd pay to ship it back! We had A bad year.. Near Deaths in our house Etc.. Avon got mad at me. I returned $200.00+ of Stuff & paid for it and they didn't take care of me! They big time screwed me over! After 15 years! I was Furious! But was busy taking care of hurt loved ones! But I returned 2 diamond crosses and all of the stuff and got jipped. Its Sad! Hopefully its Better now!! Good Luck!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Mary Kay and Monavie---
    What a waste of money...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010