Tips for training a dog to chew only on her toys?

We're trying to teach our puppy to only chew on her toys and chews. What can we do to get her to ignore what doesn't belong to her?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pets

• 1) puppy proof your home.I know PITA but after you have her properly trained you can become more lax - a little dilegence for a while will pay off for years to come
    2) Keep your pup close - its a good habit to form anyhow to teach your dog to be close to you - tether your young dog with a longish leash so that they are never out of your eyesight
    3) Find what type of things your dog likes to chew on - do not think because it is small it wants soft and fluffy or because its big it wants hard and chewing.
    any how find out the things your dog likes and use that as a reward

Your pup goes to chew something they shouldn't, redirect them with "off" (in a normal voice not yelling or screaming or stern) and present them with what they can chew with a high pitch praise "heres ur bone!" takes time but worth the weeks or few months of effort
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 6:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Redirection. Any puppy should not be left unattended. Matter of fact its a good idea to tether her to you while home for awhile. If you find her with something take it away and replace it with her toy. No yelling or anything. It won't make a difference. Just replace her item with something she's allowed to have.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Get her a nice smelly bone and give it to her in the crate. My dog loves the smelly bones I get them at tractor supply for 1.99.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The redirection is a great idea. Plus, if you really want to keep the puppy busy, try filling a kong ball w/ peanut butter. That'll keep 'em busy! (It's esp. good for when company comes over)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with salemwitchchild take away the item you don't want him to chew on and say no >> and give him one of his toy (Don't yell thought). Never say his name when his acting up or doing some thing bad just say no or stop ext. "Because you should only say his name when his doing something good"). That a tip that my trainer should me. Good Luck
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 5:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd get rid of the retractable leash. A lot of dog owners hate them because their considered the lazy mans leash. It teaches bad manners and its harder to control your dog with one. Get a normal leash. While the dog is out he should be tethered to you or to something in your general area until he can be trusted to behave. You wouldn't let a baby out of your sight, so don't let a puppy out of your sight either. If you can't be with the pup, put him in his crate. Also, to make the peanut butter kong last a little longer you can freeze it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• This is another tip he should me with the toy's!!!!!!
    Never give the dog all his toys; because they get bored of them!!!!! So just give him one; and every other day chance the toy.
    That well make them think its a new toy for them all the time.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 5:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Stuff a kong with small treats that you have to push into the hole and she has to work to get them out.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If I can't tether her (she has a retractable leash--not something easy to tie), should I put her in the crate and hand her the toy?

Well smelly bones she can do, but she has other toys too. But sometimes she ignores them in favor of my son's toys or worse, DH's belt, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thanks everyone, I will try those tips. She has a kong, but she hid it, LOL. I've been planning to put peanut butter in it as soon as I can find it again.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010