An only Child

Hi, what are your or of someone you know experiences of being an only child, Pro's and Con's...

thanking you ki ndly
mommabear335

MommyBear335

Asked by MommyBear335 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess I will be able to ask our son when he's grown - :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My exhusband is an only child and he practically had no childhood. When I met him, he had never been to a Fair, Amusement Park or even knew how to swim. He said his mother wouldn't even allow him to have or goto sleepovers with his friends.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My dad was an only child. He had no clue about how siblings interacted. I grew up one of 4 kids.

Man, did he have fun! NOT!!!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• DesertRose, that has NOTHING to do with being an only child and EVERYTHING to do with parents being overprotective or too poor.

My husband was one of three and didn't have much of a childhood either. I had a "normal childhood" with a brother that I was constantly trying to get my parents to return to the adoption agency!

My dad was one of ten. If interacting with siblings involves fisticuffs and growing up to hate each other, he did pretty well, I guess.

The most "normal" kid I knew growing up had no siblings.

It's NOT the number of kids! It's the PARENTING.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I grew up 1 of 2 kids. Currently, I have 7 children so I can't answer your question through my direct experiences. However, I have a very good friend who has only one child and I would consider her an EXCELLENT parent. She has run into some issues that are a derivative of the 'only child' syndrome. One example is that her son (age 14) thinks he is on the same level as his Mom/Dad because he has always been allowed A LOT of input into what they eat, where they go, etc. ~ now he interrupts and butts into conversations that he should stay out of. Another thing is that he has NO concept of teamwork, even though he plays well on team sports, he doesn't know how nor does he choose to work with others toward a common goal. He is more self-absorbed. He cannot handle noise/chaos well. Just a few things I have picked up on his behavior or have talked w/his Mom about.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 6:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have one child....some would say she's spoilt but i dont think so......she is now 21 ....she's fine but i think although she's extremely close to her cousins etc she might have been different had she had another sibling by myself, she has a older brother and three younger sisters by her dad and they are ok. she seems fine as an individual to me. she wasnt much of a trouble maker, was mostly with me as i used to refer to her as my handbag/purse, we're very close as mom and daughter.
    i didnt have a bad experience but dont cant speak for everyone
    mstropics

Answer by mstropics at 1:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2010