start with rice cereal or skip it??

DS is almost 6 mnths and i am going to start a little solids. 1tbsp once a day. do i start with rice or skip and start with banana or avacodo? he is EBF.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 5:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• popcorn

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Skip it. It tends to constipate.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• rice is ok
    if i remember that far back i think she had issue with rice and not pooping so i did oatmeal
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I started with rice as was instructed by my son's pediatrician, who has a nutritionist on staff (due to the fact that they have a special program for special needs kids, which my other son belongs to) , but there are different theories on what is best. Take all the information you are given, do some research and decided what YOU think is best.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You could give it a try and if baby does not like it-go the banana route. My kids loved rice cereal and tolerated it well, but if they did not I would have skipped it and done banana's.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Skip it. The iron tends to bind and it really offers nothing but extreme blandness. Baby can eat what YOU eat, mashed. Having peas with dinner? Mash some up for baby. Same with potatoes, green beans, etc. One new thing every few days. It's a lot cheaper and easier than buying cereal.

One more thing. Nurse first, solids after. All the way to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I used rice cereal, but you just have to test it. If it constipates them, then switch to oatmeal.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• ok, i thought a lot of people had said to skip the cereal. I am not going to buy any baby food and am planning on mking my own.
    staciaw

Comment by staciaw (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I started with rice mixed with formula, then onto oatmeal. At that age, it's more about learning to eat with a spoon rather than nutrition, you just want to make sure whatever you give him is mild. My DS loved avacados (still does) at about 8 months or so.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Skip it. We do baby led solids here - purees or compulsary spoonfeeding. It's been so easy and she'll try anything. Check it out!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010