How to potty train my 3 year old boy adult content

My son turned 3 in April. He's always been a little "behind". He's very smart; he retains things quickly and remembers them such as his numbers or shapes and ABC's and remembers phrases, however he learned to walk late, still doesn't talk in full sentences and I don't think he is understanding the full concept of going peepee in the potty.

If I ask him if he peed or pooped, he'll run and get me a diaper. I have another baby coming in October and really don't want 2 kids in diapers. I've been trying for the last couple of days letting him run around with no diaper on and asking him constantly if he needs to go peepee in the potty aand he'll run in front of it and stand. Yesterday for the first time he went pee a little in his potty and we praised him. Today he just sits on the floor and pees. This is extremely frustrating. He watches daddy pee and potty and we've tried the cheerio trick. Any suggestions?? HELP!!!!!!

ellay42

Asked by ellay42 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he have his own potty? We had to put my son's in the living room, because he was afraid he would miss something if it wasn't in the same room that he was playing in. Now he is 2 1/2 and potty trained through out the day, just not at night. Also give him a sticker or a few m&m's if he goes. My son was a late walker as well (15 months).
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It sounds to me like he is not ready. Give him some more time, he will come around to it. You may have two kids in diapers at the same time, but rushing him will backfire on you.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 6:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you need to devote 2-3 days to NOTHING but training and you can get it done. head to the store and let him pick undies he loves, and have him (himself) toss the diapers/pullups.

sit the potty (on a towel if u like!) in front of the tv and declare a movie day. lots of drinks (special ones maybe like chocolate milk) and salty snacks (popcorn, pretzels) to produce as much pee as humanely possible and listen for it and help HIM listen for it..... and make an enormous deal over how awesome it is. have him wipe, him dump the potty and him flush. make him sit til he pees or poops and gets used to the noise it consistantly makes and then he'll associate the feeling of it coming out of him and the muscles will train accordingly. have him sit on the potty til SOMETHING comes out, distracting with salty snacks and drinks, movies, books, etc til there is a poop or tinkle
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I totally agree with hibbingmom! The 3 Day Potty training method is the best! It has worked for everyone I know that has used it.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 3 day method.
    Better rewards.
    More upset when the pee pee/poop is not in the potty. Cry if you need to. That's what got through to my 2 year old. I put elmo panties on her and told her it was not nice to pee on Elmo. She peed once and cried "I sorry Elmo." and never did it again. She just turned 2 and is completely potty trained.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010