Do your kids have those power wheels toys? How old are they?

Can they ride them well. Learn quickly? How old were they able to easily drive them?

My dd is just now turned 5 and has mild aspergers....and she has such trouble steering them. She gets on it and just pushes the gas and wont steer even though we have shown her a million times that if you move the steering wheel you dont run into the tree.

Just wondering if this is showing some coordination issues or basically trying to figure it out...

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 6:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My boys got a quad powerwheels when they were 18 months, and loved it, but they fought over it, so my MIL got them an Escalade powerwheel with two seats when they were 2 1/2.

They are 4 now, and still have a bit of trouble steering, but can steer their tricycles just fine. I just walk/jog next to them and grab the wheel if they are going to hit something.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son who is 2 1/2 has a quad powerwheel we got for him at 1. He knows how to steer it, but its a smaller powerwheels
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• This one is a big Barbie jeep and she has had it for 2 or 3 years now. Usually she just rides with her brother driving b/c it frustrates her when she runs into things so much. But we encourage her to keep trying, I just dont see her getting it.
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son is 5, for his Christmas/Birthday Present this past January he got a Power Wheels Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition Pickup Truck. This thing is huge. He can do a three point turn while backing up in it! He looks over his shoulder and everything. Actually he drives better than my sister and she's 45. It has low and high gear...it flys! He LOVES it, especially the radio!

truck

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• DS got a powerwheels jeep when he was 2. He absolutely loved it. It was great. Unfortunately for him, he outgrew it pretty quick and it wouldn't really move anymore. He would love to have a 4-wheeler or truck/utility vehicle but I don't have $400 right now for another one. He too was able to do 3 pt turns, "park" and drove it really well. The one he had didn't go very fast so speed wasn't really a problem.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010