suggestions please

My 2 yr old DS will eat some and throw the rest on the floor at meal time and the same goes for snack time..... what are some ways to get him to stop? its an all day everyday thing... he says hes hungry so i get him something to eat he takes a bite or two and throws the rest in the floor and we have 2 dogs so it gets eaten but they go outside at meal times but he still will not stop throwing food in the floor! I need help! Its getting a little bit old him wasting food like this.

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 6:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he on a set feeding schedule?
    hapeewife

Answer by hapeewife at 6:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had similar with my son at around 2yrs old, hes now 3. I would take the food away and say no, explain that we don't throw our food on the floor if we aren't hingry and also that there is nothing else to eat until this food has gone. My son soon got fed up eating cold meals and soon stopped throwing it on the floor! good luck x
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 6:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• maybe have you tried asking him what he wants to eat? or do you sit with him and tell him no right before he throws it? or does he eat alone?
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yes he is on a set feeding schedule. I have tried taking his food away and he don't care he just goes on about his business like he normally would....
    TatymMommi

Comment by TatymMommi (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Wow- what a little stinker! Have you tried correcting him for it? Take the food/plate away the 1st time something hits the floor. Explain that we don't do that, & when he's ready to eat like a big boy, you'll give him the food back. Repeat as necessary. It may sound mean, but at 2 he's old enough to know better. It sounds like it's become a game b/t him & the dogs. Put an end to it before the terrible 2s really do you in!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with MRSMOM110, that is exactly what i did with my daughter and it really worked!
    tacs333

Answer by tacs333 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• my daughter use to do this with her bottle and with her food when she was done. ofcourse she would think it was a game. i would just say give the bottle to mama when you are done. or i would say not on the floor sarah. and i just repeatly did this. and if she continued i did take away the plate. unlike your son though she is much younger but she understood. i would come down to her eye level and talk in a stern but loving voice. she stopped doing it. now she just hides her food on her highchair but that is rare. but she gives me her botle when she is done so it did work. it takes alot of time. be patient
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• only put out healthy snacks like carrots,fruit, or cherrios..in small portions til he says he really hungry..when u make his plates only make a half a spoon of everything..as long as he take at least 2 bites doc say thats good enough..my last 2 did the same thing..when he throws the food on the floor make him clean it an mop that spot himself..if he refuses too then 2-3 hard pats on the behind..an off to his roon he should go til he understands the seriousness of his actions
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Only give him what he will eat and no more. If he wants more give him alittle at a time when he gets done with what you have already given him.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When my son was in this phase I only gave him one or two bites on his tray at a time. When he looked like he was going to throw it, I would ask him to please give it to mama instead. It took a while but he is very good about giving things to me when he is done instead of throwing them. Though if I am not paying attention he will still do it. I hate this phase.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010