Are you a Conservative? Why?

Whats do you consider your most important trait as a Conservative to be?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am conservative. I believe in fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal freedoms and liberties, smaller, unintrusive government, integrity and honor in the people in government who serve and a sense of humility, a strong military, the understanding between a right and a privilege, and pork refers to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_barrel . Check it out gertie41.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Fiscal responsibility. Shame more conservatives can't stick to that and leave their religion at home where it belongs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I am conservative when it comes to tax law and fiscal responsibility. I am embarrassed to be associated with the religious right, and that is why I refuse to be called republican.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, I am a conservative.

I believe small government is more important than my personal preferences. I'm sick of bloated government spending and budgets, bureaucracy that exists merely to grant favors to friends and family of politicians.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm pretty conservative. I think that being fiscally conservative is what draws me close to my party, I hate seeing pork and waste.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When you talk "conservative" and "liberal", I mainly stick to fiscal issues. I don't think the government has any place in social issues, so it's moot, IMO.

I am a fiscal conservative because I believe that the further away we get from a natural economic system, the worse off we are. When we try to "level the playing field" via taxes and benefit programs... it doesn't work. The balance gets thrown off in the same way that an ecosystem would be thrown off. We can't control everything and we shouldn't try.

Is there unfairness in the world? Yes, but there will always be unfairness, no way around it. The question is do we want unfairness and the freedom to change our lives, or unfairness and very few options?

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• As for the comments about "the party of no"... I guess some people just don't understand that saying yes to bad ideas is not a good thing. Focus on perfecting a few functions, instead of trying to do everything and failing miserably at them all.

The sheer number of projects our representatives come up with only serves to prove that they have too much free time and should maybe be pulled back to part/half time. Sitting around coming up with useless laws and bills to make yourself seem busy is only harmful to liberty and freedom.

What's worse is that they don't even take some of their abundance of time to actually READ many of these bills before voting on them. Shameful!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Definitely! I think Jesse said it best.

I also think when people are given help or aid it should short term to help them improve their circumstances, not be a way of life designed to keep them in need for votes or empowerment of the aid-givers.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't consider myself to be either. I believe that the only thing a government should do involve keeping the infrastructure running well, and funding a military so that the country is protected. I'm ok with emergency services such as EMS and fire but I'd erase fema from the dictionary. I would toss all aid to anyone under the age of 65 who was able-bodied and full of excuses, and put that money towards seniors who have already worked all their lives. I think building codes are the lowest common denominator. I think schools should teach more about self sufficiency and productiveness and less about sex. I have never dialed 911 for a cop. I think every prison should be a working prison ~ and a place NO one ever wants to go back to. I firmly believe that no lawyer should get paid for getting a criminal a reduced sentence or set free. I believe that if you want something you should work for it or do without.

So, what am I?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would be a liberal, but I hear it is quite painful when they remove your brain.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010