would you call her mom?

My 3rd grade daughters bff is in 5th grade... they were here playing in the family room. My 10th grade daughter and her two friends were in the kitchen eating. The two roms connect... like one great room.

Well the 5th grade girl is extreemly sheltered... her mother refuses to tell her what a period is yet. When I walked in the girls in the kitchen were talking (rather loud) and giggling about embarassing moments of having their periods at school. I quickly quieted the girls explaining that the little one had no idea what a period was.

Would you call the mom and let her know, in case there were questions that night.

btw... my kids have known what they are from early early on... so I had no issue at all with my 3rd grader hearing the conversation... actually I kind of liked that it put it in the no big deal catagory...after all EVERY woman goes through it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't worry about it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• most schools do that stuff early my class was in 4th grade same for my sister who now in 7th....you might want to explain to the mom your daughters didnt know how loud they were and that her daughter might have heard but dont tell her that her parenting skills is wrong. or anything just explain that she might have questions
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Did the 3rd grader ask about the subject matter? Maybe she didn't even hear you. My dau is entering 3rd grade (8 y/o) & quite frankly I'm not ready for the "talk" yet! That's still pretty young- so I don't blame her mom for not broaching that subject yet. Respect her wishes on that & life will be easier for all.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• MY 3rd grader DID hear (had no questions.. she has know for years... heck she is at the market when I buy tampons) she was walking into the other room right about when I entered.  She was going to ask the girls to change the subject.  But I heard and did it first.  My 3rd grader knows that the 5th graders mom thinks it is some sort of huge secret... and so out of respect my 3rd grader knows not to discuss it with her.

I have respected her parenting while the child is in my home... but I really dont understand why a period is such a HUGE secret.  It isnt like we are discussing sex.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would have called her mother.
    winterrose82

Answer by winterrose82 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. If you are really close to the mom you could call her I guess - but if you're not really friends I wouldn't bother. Kids hear things all of the time, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would have called her mother and explained that her child may have overheard your older daughter talking to her friends about it. Having a period should be no big secret.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't really worry--the kid is in 5th grade, she's probably heard about some of this stuff through kids at school. I know in 5th grade the health class went into a little sex ed--girls learned about the female end of it, boys heard about the male end of it. Not sex exactly, but what to expect as their bodies mature.

I just hope this girl gets the talk before her own cycle starts up! That will be a shocker.
    stldenise

Answer by stldenise at 1:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2010