Do you think this was offensive for me to say????

Ok. OOPS.
I live with my in-laws. We were eating dinner and my 17 yr old brother in law was making fun of my 20 yr old SIL for starting college in a month. He was saying she would never finish and she was just using it as a reason to get a laptop and stuff. It made me mad because I am in high school and she and I both care very much about education. I yelled sarcastically to him (dropped out in 6th grade) in front of my MIL and FIL who both never finished high school; "Some people actually care if they are educated!!!!" My BIL got a thoughtful look and my MIL quickly interrupted me with "You dont have to go to school to be smart and personality is what matters.."
I think it is stupid that she let her kid drop out and is know being anti-education by defending his decision in front of her 12 and 14 year olds. She thinks she is right and I am hurting peoples feelings because I think I am better then them because I am in school.

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Offensive,maybe.
    True,yes. Education is very important.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you did the right thing standing up for her I mean 6th grade drop out?? my sister is 11 and in 7th grade if she dropped out my family would kill her!
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Sounds to me like someone is jealous. You go girl!!!
    hapeewife

Answer by hapeewife at 6:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think it was a good response... if you were older and supporting yourself. I agree 100% with your intentions and feelings about education. But while you are under their roof as a teenage mother I would simply bite my tongue and go with the flow.  The best revenge is to live a good happy life.  Do right by your child, be a good mother, finish your education... and THAT will drive home your point.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No, I dont hink it was offensive. But must be uncomfortable because they got offended. I agree, she is a fool to let him drop out of school. That is just nuts, dosent she have any expectations for him. I guess being a dishwasher making 200 a week is good for the rest of his life. Shes right, you dont have to go to school to be smart. But there is a big difference in being smart and being educated! He's just jealous because he knows he is already a failure.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 7:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• kudos to you for sticking with your education. it sounds like they were all raised in families that do not value education and i feel sorry for them for that - there is no replacement...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• offensive to them maybe, but quite honestly I agree with you and would have said the same thing.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I suppose since you live in their home, you might want to watch what you say, but I agree....what kind of parent lets their child drop out of school in 6th grade....and then defends it. Especially if they didn't finish high school, they should want more for their own children.
    Finish school, and move out, be careful what you say in the meantime.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No! If you're going to disrespect and degrade someone, then you should expect nothing less back at you. I'm in college working on my bachelors and I use my excess funds for housing, and I just purchased an HP all in one touch-smart. He may be jealous because he dropped out, and it can be hard watching others around you succeed when you did not. Next time just throw a little psychology 101 in there. Just say;"Hey I know you quit school, and I know it can be tough out here without an education, and I can help you". This will kill him inside. Never lower yourself to his level, just use a little sarcasm. It gets them every time.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It probably could have been said a little gentler - and I really do understand what you were saying, but seeing that you are living with your IL's it was over the line. It's up to them how they raise their children.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010