Question about chicken thawed in the refigerator

First, how long does it take to thaw usually? And how long does chicken stay good if it was frozen and then you put it in the refrigerator to thaw? (It's still packaged, hasn't been opened, just put in the fridge to thaw.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'd say stays good no more than 3 days. I toss any meat that's been in the fridge longer than that. In general, it takes at least overnight to thaw out. I usually allow it 24 hours. It's a real pain in the ass if you forget to lay meat out a few hours before dinner =)

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 7:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd cook it within a day of being thawed. A whole chicken would take maybe two days.

Answer by Bmat at 7:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 1-2 days....if you put it in the fridge in the morning its usually thawd out enough by dinner!!! But if it sits in its own liquid for over two days i wouldnt cook it.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Oh...and I would never use meat I've thawed and left in fridge longer than two days. Even if it smells alright, LOL..I'm weird like that though.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I finish thawing it according to microwave instructions. I've done that for 30 years! I wouldn't let chicken sit too long in the fridge. I'd only leave it in there one day. But that's me! Maybe a poultry hot;line or site may be more helpful! Good Luck! I just baked my first chicken since I had Cancer! First time all year!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If you are thawing it in the refrigerator it could take about 3-5 days I know I have put a frozen one in there and went to cut it up like 3-4 days later and it was still frozen in the middle
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• http://www.helium.com/items/1318821-how-long-does-it-take-to-defrost-a-chicken
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I put frozen chicken in my sink in the morning when I am cleaning from breakfast. It sits out all day to thaw and I cook it that night. If we do something different for dinner and I didn't use it I generally put it in the fridge for the next day and cook it even if I am not going to use it. I will cook it and freeze the cooked chicken for when I might need it.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I usually let my meats thaw over night. But I put it out on the counter and then stick it in the fridge before I go to bed and generally, its thawed by morning.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010