Do you feel that a child must know...

about sex in order to discuss what a period is?

Can you simply explain what a period is with out going into sex?

If you feel that periods are a taboo subject... I am curious as to why.

Do you feel it is wrong to teach a young boy what a period is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• no
    yes
    I don't
    no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I will explain periods to the extent of it being the way a woman cleans out her insides so that when she is MUCH older she can have a baby. But no, I have no intention of explaining all about sex at that time.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think it would help
    hapeewife

Answer by hapeewife at 7:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't know what age it should be discussed but even a boy needs to know what a period is, if for no other reason but when he has a girlfriend or wife that he isn't grossed out about it LOL. Plus then it's not on this poor girlfriend to explain things to him.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• hapeewife.... so in order to understand that women bleed once a month you must tell them how a baby is concieved?

So with that in mind, it would be best to wait to tell a child about periods until they are old enough to understand about sex?

Therefore we must hide the fact that we have periods every month?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Boys should learn about periods and about womens bodies. My daughter is 5 and she knows about periods, sex and babies, as we have an infant. I think you can have age appropriate conversations with your kids from the very first quesiton until they are old enough to be married.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no
    yes
    no
    no
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I say..why withhold any of the info...if your gonna talk about the period might as well tell everything.
    I had the discussion with my 10 year old son a few weeks ago. And in order for him to understand the whole concept of eggs and sperm meeting..I did tell him about a girls having a period.
    Besides...I think its good for a boy to know what a girl/women has to go through.I think it gives them a better understanding of the opposite sex.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You don't have to discuss sex to discuss menstrual cycles.
    You can talk about menstrual cycles without discussing sex.
    Boys should know about menstrual cycles (over age 10 or so) because unless they are never marry a woman, they will have a wife and maybe even daughters in their lives.
    Menstrual cycles should not be taboo, it is a fact of life that most normal females have regular menstrual cycles.
    That being said, a first menstrual cycle is a great time to talk about sex.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Girls need to know how a period fits into the big picture--so it's part of the sex talk. And they need to know about the cycle way before it hits them so they're ready! I think you can explain how her body works without getting into the details of sex, just that she has a womb so that when she's a woman she can have a child of her own.

My 11 yr old son knows the basics of a woman's cycle mainly because he was 8 when I had his little brother, so we needed to answer some of his questions--and he was too old for the stork tale. But other than that, boys can wait to learn about periods until they're old enough for sex ed & biology class. My son knows some of it because I've explained to him that I get grumpy because of my hormones. Bleeding hasn't really come up.
    stldenise

Answer by stldenise at 12:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010