Do you have any ideas to share to make Christmas more memorable instead of commercialized?

Every year I say I am not going to spend a lot on Christmas gifts cuz the kids usually enjoy the less expensive toys or boxes the gifts come in more than the more expensive gifts.

I don't want to waste money on gifts that the kids won't enjoy or remember but I feel guilty not getting my kids the "hot" toys of the season.

Any suggestions to make Christmas more memorable instead of commercialized? I would rather spend the money on something that the kids will cherish instead of another Tickle Me Elmo....

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 7:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• Go Caroling at a nursing home, in your neighborhood, pick up pine cones and make wreaths out of them, make gifts for the needy, or nursing homes, teach the kids that it's not all about getting but giving back
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• we put boot prints in the snow and around the fireplace, run outside and ring some sleigh bells and flash a red light across DS's window to add to the fun. They'll be too old soon, so I'm enjoying it while I can.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have been struggling with your idea for years....I know my family will flood the kids with "stuff"..they don't spend a lot of time with us (special needs kids and all) but they load and run....so I know the kids will get presents to open.

I like to focus on one kinda big thing for each kid for presents and thats it. It might add to a set they have or start a set of a new thang....or something just special they have waited for all year.

I like to do the food stuff...lots bread making, xmas breakfast, xmas dinner, peanut brittle for teachers gifts (geez 1/2 are diabetic now).
    My youngest loves to make cards for the "old folks" and he is such a neat kid (had a huge NICU hospital stay for 8 months~truely a child stolen from death) he really likes visiting the nursing home down the street and hand deliver his cards. He is drawn to it, connecting with the residences like a faux grandson~they LOVE it~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Bake more and give gifts that come from the kitchen. Cut down your own tree and video tape the experience. I have footage of my lil ones with their squeaky voices and it brings me such joy. They are all teens now.
    Caroling is a good idea, so is volunteering or delivering for the food bank. Watch Christmas movies that are more family oriented and decorate your home with home made items (like paper snowflakes) rather than store bought plastic junk.
    Make monkey bread for Christmas morning (my kids love it!) and play Christmas music on Christmas eve and Christmas day - but not too long before so you're not sick of it, ha ha. I also light Frankincense and Muir incense so our house smells nice. Cider and spice also makes the house smell good. Have the children decorate the cookies for Santa.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Quality time with the family/friends is ALWAYS a good idea. Spend the holiday playing games, karaoke, share stories or memories or spend time in the kitchen
    dunston

Answer by dunston at 8:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We travel to my parent's house in PA for two Christmases - Dec 25th and Jan 7th. On the 24th, we have a Polish traditional Christmas Eve dinner that we have together that makes our evening so special. Jan 6th and 7th are Russian Christmas and again it's about food and family. That is the most special part of the holiday for us, not the gifts under the tree or in the stocking. I am curious as to how the baby will act as he gets older. I definitely want him to help pick out the toys we give to toys for tots, and we'll see what else.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• On Christmas eve we all get with all of the cousins, my 2 boys and my sister's 4 girls(all 11 and younger), and bake birthday cakes for Baby Jesus. They take them to their other grandparents houses for Christmas. The kids all get new PJs and then we put them in the van and take them to look at lights and sing Christmas carols. For the adults we have what we call our Christmas Adam party, which is the night before Christmas Eve.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Something I've done for years is make a gingerbread house or houses with the kids. I bake up the gingerbread pieces, hot glue them together (cheating, but it's faster than waiting for frosting to set, and it peels off if they want to eat the house), and give them a bowl of frosting, tons of sprinkles, candy, cereal odds & ends, ice cream cones, marshmallows, etc. and let them at it. I've even had neighbor kids or friends over and even now that some are adults they still remark that they remember making gingerbread houses with us.

We go to a pick & cut Christmas tree farm to get our tree. I get it set up & put the lights on & the kids do the rest of the decorating. It is a HUGE deal for them. Some years we've made ornaments.

Bake and decorate sugar cookies together! It's a lot like the gingerbread house: bake the cookies then let the kids have at it with a bowl of frosting (or colored frostings) and plenty of sprinkles
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sponsor a needy family in your community. We do this thru our church, but lots of groups do it. Don't take on the task alone, join forces with your neighbors or coworkers, but get the kids involved...help them to plan. Follow the advent tradition of reflection and giving for the entire holiday season. I've never forgotten this from my childhood.

juliawerre

Answer by juliawerre at 9:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• One time the power went out and we sang Christmas carols together. Was a lot of fun and very memorable.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010