My 3 week old baby gets very very fussy from 11pm to about 2am, nothing seems to soothe him -any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• doctors say its ok to let your child cry it out for 10 15 min..it rough but if you go to him in the middle of night hell think he can do anytime. so try lettin him cry it out and hell probably fall asleep if not and hes crying for about 20 min by himself theres probably something wrong such as a tummy ache or somethign else and take him to the doctor
    Anonymous

• It could be gas. Or he just has a hard time settling down. Try classes for infant massage or doing the bicycle with your sons legs. My son had a period in the night where he was really upset and it was gas. We gave him "oval" and tried the bicycle and a colic massage and he was fine.
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with sleepymommaof2- sounds like gas. My baby had surgery that caused her to be prone to reflux... Try propping some towels under one end of the mattress to heighten his head, it will help stop the fluids from creeping out of his tummy to his esophogus- which is what reflux is. Try not to lay him flat for a bit after feedings. It will allow time for the food to setting in his tummy. Also to get him to burp or pass gas try pushing his knees up to his tummy, laying him on his belly and patting his back- OR- take his temp analy with a soft baby thermometer- seriously- its like letting the air out of a balloon. It'll make you laugh too! There also over the counter baby drops... cant remember the name.. walmarts brand works just fine, I used them for a bit but my babe is on liquid prevacid. Good luck. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• stick a boob in his mouth! a never fail method in my home!
    Anonymous

• Never let a 3 week old cry it out! Two good books to buy. The Baby Whisperer, by Tracy Hogg and The Happiest Baby On The Block, By Harvey Karp They work wonders!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If he cries everyday at the same time it's a hallmark characteristic of Colic. Any Petdiatrician will tell you the same thing.  If it is gas he will pull his legs up to his chest a kick out.  Get the books!

amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It's colic for sure. Give your baby a warm bath. Also try rubbing the tummy it works out the gas.
    akelly228

Answer by akelly228 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2008