Can someone just be not good with money?

Someone in my husband's family says it's a norm that only 1 person deals with the money in each marriage. And that's okay because some people are not good with money. I believe everyone has got to know how to deal with money, it's a life skill. If you make $1000 and your bills are $800, don't spend more than $200 on anything but bills. Common sense right?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• This is kind of like believing that everyone on the planet should be able to change their own oil... sure, it might be nice if the world were like that, but I believe in community --everyone does not need to be competent at everything, we are social/cooperative animals, unable to survive on our own, truly. Everyone who would like to 'survive on their own' needs to leave 100% of our technology here, including pants and axes, when they go prove I'm wrong...

Some people have a hard time paying attention to the subject, and some are naturally interested.

I think that relying on others' expertise is a sign of mental health and engagement in a community. As long as all the chickens aren't stored in one box (good idea: know more than one person who knows how to operate a bank account, in case your primary helper quits or dies), it's not bad to pass on some of life's necessary work...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes my dh
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes that is common sense. My brother is the person who does not understand money. He never has and I don't think he ever will. He has racked his credit cards up many times and has had more consolidation loans than anyone I have ever known. He is kind and gentle, smart, witty, a great cook AND he is horrible with money.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, I am not good with money and my husband isnt either. So we have none. We have alot of stuff...but no money. Stupid Wal-Mart.

It doesnt help that my in-laws dont charge us rent. Instead we are supposed to be saving for a house or apartment. But nobody collects that money so we often end up spending it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• In our marriage I deal with the money because I have more time. But he really hates it because it takes time away from what he really wants to do. So, I end up doing it.

I have not problem with your line of thought; it’s whatever works in your marriage that’s important.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I budget our money and pay the bills because I enjoy doing it- and I think I'm pretty good at it. That aspect, I think is normal. But a marriage where only one spouse controls the money, and only one spouse has a say in how it's allocated- I don't think that's normal, nor do I think it's healthy.

Twice a month my husband has to look at our budget and give me the a-okay on it. It only take 5 minutes. I also give him a heads up when the budget is changed, or when a bill came in higher than expected.

I may manage the money, but we work on it together. I think people are stronger when they work as teams =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm good with money just as my husband is.... but I leave it up to him since he works and im the SAHM... he puts a certain amount in savings accounts and then another in one for bills.... and everything gets taken out all at once on the first.

it works well since we never have to ask eachother "Hey, did you already pay the cable bill?"

so I dont think it has a matter of whos better with money? but how is it able to be more convienent

FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 7:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Most people I know only 1 person deals with the money (as in pays the bills etc)...its not because the other one doesn't know how, its usually because one may have more time or may just be a little better at doing it. ..In a lot of families each person has certain things that their responsible for and dealing with the money may be one of those.
    SherryL

Answer by SherryL at 7:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It is a maturity issue. Some people are mature enough to be fiscally responsible, and some are not.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• LOL... Common Sense and the ability to Balance a Budget do not go hand in hand... my sister's life is a financial train wreck... which is really strange because she is a Certified Public Accountant and a Controller in an international company...her ex-husband was a Financial Planner. How does this happen? I take care of all our finances for 17 years because I am organized, I spent many years being a bookkeeper and an administrative assistant. My husband is a procrastinator...not a good quality for paying bills.

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010