6 week old who never sleeps ahuh!!!!!

my baby is 6 weeks old and never sleeps and when he is tired (yawning etc...) he fights it hard! any ideas to help him sleep? i try car rides walking bouncing holding laying with him......

dairyberrys

Asked by dairyberrys at 7:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never sleaps? that soundslike a mmedical problem to me.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I spend most of my day with my son on me. He sleeps on and off all day and most of the night. When he is fighting sleep I find the best way to calm him down is to hold him on my chest and let him go to sleep. Other things that work are swaddling, shushing, and rocking.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The only thing that worked for me when my dd was little was the lavender baby bath and baby lotion. I would massage the lotion on her and then I would read her a story and rock her and she would fall asleep. My ds had eczema so the only time he slept was if I was holding him but I see that u have tried that.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I suppose I would check , first his diaper, feed him, burp him, make sure he isnt to cold or to hot, make sure he doesnt have a feaver, then I would sing to him, cuddle, rock him, etc.... if still nothing I would put on some ear plugs and let him cry it out..

FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 7:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• he hates to be swaddled and i have tried a baby carrier he hates both! and crying it out isnt an option 4 me...
    dairyberrys

Comment by dairyberrys (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Hahaha! Good luck! My dd fought sleep for 5 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never did find any way to stop her. She'd scream if we let her stay in her room alone.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• And then what happens?

I mean, are we seriously talking about a 6wk old baby who is no longer growing because he never actually sleeps at all? Or do you mean that he doesn't sleep at times, or for lengths of time, that suit your life?

It's really hard being a parent to a young baby who doesn't fit well into the rest of life, especially when 'the rest of life' includes school days, working or other scheduling things outside your control...

But that doesn't mean he 'never' sleeps. Never is different than 'for 20 minutes at a time, once an hour, throughout the day and night'... because that adds up to 8 hours of sleep, however much trying to stay awake that much makes parents nuts.

Do you sleep when he sleeps? Can you at least rest when he sleeps --even if it's only for 40 minutes?

This phase will pass (not soon enough, I know)... you only need to survive it, and do what it takes to get through. Get help, pay help...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• if he is literally not sleeping i would rush him to a dr. this has me very concerned. do some research on much time a 6 wk old should be sleeping etc. see if yours is sleeping to little. sometimes it just seems like they aren't sleeping cause were so exhausted. i know i thought that. i hear my baby crying from her very ultra short nap. yea
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• SWADDLE!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• my daughter is 5 weeks and the thing i fine to help is laying on my chest and rocking her in a rocking chair and i have to do that for a while to make sure she gets in deep sleep or she will sleep 5mins-10mins and then wake up fighting again
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010