goopy eyes?

Any suggestions other than medicine or breastmilk to get rid of goop in the eyes. Jack is 6 weeks old and I'm pretty sure his tear ducts are blocked and causing his eyes to goop up. Our middle daughter had the same problem and we had to use ointment in her eyes for the first 18 months of her life (then she had surgery).
But we don't have the money to take him to the doctor right now and I'm not breastfeeding. I've been massaging the ducts but they don't seem to be clearing and his eyes get really goopy sometimes. Not as bad as my daughter's were though. Any other suggestions?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 7:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you know anyone that is breastfeeding that would be willing to give you a bottle of it to clean up his eyes? That is the only thing I know that will work.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Unfortunately, no. We just moved here and don't know anybody. I'll probably just have to keep cleaning his eyes every few hours and keep massaging until we can afford to go to the doctor (maybe after payday).
    None of that helped our daughter though. Even the ointment and drops never cured the infection. Her eyes didn't clear up until her surgery at 18 months when they unblocked her ducts. He already hates anyone touching his eyes.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010