Are there any lightswitches in your house that you have no clue what they do?

We just moved into this house and I've found 3 light switches that do nothing. Well, one is in the kitchen that is supposed to be hooked to a garbage disposal if we so choose to put one in. then there is one in the living room. It does nothing that we can tell, lol. And another in the next room (a 2nd living room). All the other lights have their own switches. We have no clue what these 2 do.
I was joking as my husband flipped the one off and on repeatedly that somewhere on the other side of the world a light was flipping off and on by itself, lol.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 7:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Those light switches work with an outlet in that room in which you can plug a lamp into and turn it on or off by the switch rather than the little knob.

AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Like the garage that opens and closes at the neighbors on that one commercial? LOL Have you checked to see if they turn off parts of outlets? Like in a motel room? Like the top or bottom of an outlet or a whole outlet can be switched to turn on or off. We have a dimmer switch that controls our ceiling fan to turn it on and off and a switch that controls the light part of the same fan. Could it be a control for the fan part of a ceiling fan?
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• oh yeah..in our rental, there are a few that do nothing at all. i don't know if they are glitched, or just not hooked up correctly, or a fuse is out. either way, we don't worry about it too much.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yup we have one like that, no idea what it is for, would like to find out before we move out.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No, but there's one at work that we are all baffled about.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• we have two light switches in the livingrrom, one controls the light and the other the fan.. maybe they took the fan and put the old light back
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Geeze, how funny you should mention that!!! I actually have one on the wall in my living room just to the left of the entertainment center that I absolutely have no idea what it does. We bought this house a year ago and have never been able to figure it out.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• OMG yes!!! there are 4 switches by my bed that do nothing! and then a switch by the floor..yes by the floor in my daughters room that does nothing,..and oh yeah many switches that turn a light on in china..lol
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Just thought of this too, if you are in a cold weather state, it could be to turn on an outlet outside or heat tape on water pipes.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No, they all have a purpose.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010