Has anyone taken anti-depressants to deal with issues going on in their life?

I was a little apprehensive but I need to stop crying and constantly thinking of what happened or what could be. Me and my So have been having problems but I have to face the facts and I'm hoping the pills can calm me and not make me act crazy. My therapist suggested it so that I can take it easy I'm not eating or sleeping well.

jenlesly

Asked by jenlesly at 7:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• I have taken them before. After son #1 i ended up with ppd and it got so bad that they put me on anti depressents until i ended up pregnant with son #2 2 years later.
    mommyof4cutekid

Answer by mommyof4cutekid at 7:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes and there is nothing wrong with admitting that you need a little help. I took them after I had my miscarriage
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i wish i had some right now. they really do help a lot and after awhile you'll feel good that you think you won't need them so you stop. only do when your dr says so. you some relief and this will help, don't be scared sometimes our bodies don't work well with lots of stress. this should help.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, anti-depressants don't work instantly like pain relievers and they don't just take your problems away or make you feel better about them. They are for people who have a real chemical imbalance and not just a lot of stressors in their lives. You have to work on making life changes before you can just turn to pills to "cure all".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Stay in therapy- but dont rely on pills to make you feel better. Exercise can have a very similar effect on the brain. Take a walk not a pill.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It's fine. I got on anti depressants to deal with my hubby's gambling issues. Once things got better I weaned myself off. There's nothing wrong with asking for help every now and then. If it's to the point where you can't function, get help. Hope it helps bu remember to take them at the same time every day and the effects aren't immediate. It will take up to 2 weeks for a theraputic level to build up in your body. Unfortunately there is no quick fix and no miracle pill. The pill helps the symptoms and the therapy helps the soul. ;D
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 7:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i just got some anti-anxiety meds last week - i was to the point of not being able to function, not being able to stop crying. i used to struggle with chronic depression and had to get meds to get over the hump about 10 years ago too. they will help! your problems will still be your problems, but they will help you be able to function and think clearly and make good choices for yourself. a couple words of caution: people who have never experienced true depression will not understand why you can't just snap out of it or go for a walk and calm down, etc. also, i personally do not like them as a long-term solution (speaking in years....) - on the 10 years ago ones, the docs weren't really interested in helping me get off them and i became numb and my meds weren't managed - it got as bad as before i had them just in a diff way. while you are on them make dietary and lifestyle changes that support mental health - pm me if you need
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No, I just suffered.
    My daughter had PPD and her Doctor prescribed Serafem which helped so much. She is like a new person, happy and positive,no longer depressed.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm on Xanax. Don't feel bad for needing a pill to function better for awhile. I was having such horrible anxiety that my doc prescribed me the Xanax for when I really need it. It helps me fall asleep at night and I really never take it during the day unless I'm having an extremely annoying anxiety attack.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Zoloft is a medication that will help balance out everything, it is also non-addictive. I was on it for many years.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010